John H

Default Email - can't retrieve messages

Hi folks

Toshiba Satellite laptop/Win XP Pro/Outlook Express/adsl connection via wireless.

Hope you can help with this problem. I can usually retrieve email through my laptop via wireless connection through my LAN, or via a Vodafone PC Card.

However, the laptop has taken it into its head to refuse to retrieve email via either means. Both connections can do anything else in terms of the internet, and I can connect to the other computer on the LAN via the wireless card. I can still print to a shared printer over the WLAN.

When the laptop connects to the Paradise mail server, if there are messages there, it tries to retrieve them, and says "receiving mail" in the usual way, then the network goes dead. The error message says:

"Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'Paradise LAN', Server: 'pop3.paradise.net.nz', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '+OK ', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F"

I tried installing Pegasus Mail, and also tried Mozilla. Neither would retrieve mail either.

I have checked all of my settings against the main PC, and nothing has changed.

I have tried everything I can think of - shutting down the firewall, closing auto-protect on the virus checker etc, and nothing makes any differences

Any other ideas please?

Thank you.

John

John H

Default Re: Email - can't retrieve messages

Duh! As soon as I posted the above query, I remembered what the old hands around here do - post the error message on the net and see what happens.

After 24 hours of fiddling, I finally did the sensible thing and asked for help, and there were several answers to the Google search - one of which worked. That was to switch off virus scanning of incoming email. What I had been doing wrong was not exiting Outlook Express before trying that, then firing up OE afterwards. Sheesh!

None of this solves the question - why has it suddenly started behaving this way, when for yonks that has never been a problem - neither is it a problem on the desktop PC....

Sorry to have bothered you.
    John

Jim B

Mail scanning can fail sometimes and in older versions of Anti-virus it was just a matter of setting the ISP incoming server settings into the mail program as the antivirus added its own settings.

Newer versions do not change the server settings so it is not as easy to pick if mail scanning is active and has failed.

The worst aspect of mail scanning is if the Outgoing mail scan fails it will show the message in the sent items indicating that the nessage has been sent when in fact it hasn't.

John H

>The worst aspect of mail scanning is if the Outgoing mail scan fails it will show the message in the sent items indicating that the nessage has been sent when in fact it hasn't.

Thanks Jim B - that is a good warning.

John