Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blue Druid

Default Wot to do with an old 586

I have been bequeathed an old 586 with 3x 500Mb HDDs and (I think) 32Mb RAM. All drives have been formatted but nothing is loaded.

Any suggestions for a use for this dinasaur or should I send it off walking to the nearest landfill?

ilikelinux

Default Re: Wot to do with an old 586

Linux!, give it a boost of life!

Blue Druid

Not the silliest suggestion I have heard! I've always wanted to try it but never been game to try!

Any more?

Graham L

Look around for something like Red Hat 6.2 or so ... your public libarry might have one or more of the Linux books ... which come with a CD so you can compute while you read.

I suggest the earlier version because you are short of memory and disk for a "standard" installation of the later versions which want more than 1 GB of disk ... which is expected to be on one drive for the standard non- "Expert" scripts. I couldn't install RH 7.2 on a 350MB disk ... even with an expert install. It's probably possible, but I found an easier way ... ... life is to short to do everything which is possible.

You could make it intop a firewall/router/proxy server (again using Linux).

mark.p

You cold give it to some family without a PC. Dos games will scream on that. Would make a good email client, typing tutor tool, hell it can even be used with light web browser for internet use with an internal/extenal hardware modem. Yes it is still usefull. If you want to use Xwindows and Linux more ram would be better. An older distro RH 6.2 or Debian dased Coral linux(if its got a 2 meg video card-runs ok on a 1 meg S3 though) and a lean window manager such as Window Maker, or just play with the comandline stuff.

tommy

You could use it for a hardware firewall by installing Smoothwall on it.

Blue Druid

Without wishing to appear entirely stupid (all evidence to the contrary!), in what way would using a hardware firewall such as smoothwall be better than software such as Zone Alarm?

I generally use only my home PC although I am beginning to use a XPhome laptop as well and have a sort of network cobbled together to move data from one to the other (not wonderfully easy)

If I can use it to free up space on the PC which has only 8Gb HDD, or somehow use it to enhance PC performance, great. Otherwise, I suspect the puterless family might be the kindest option. If so, I will probably be back for advice on getting *anything* loaded ;-)

nomad

Yeah, give to a friend or family member who can use it. Or put linux on it. Ms Windows 95 is not so exciting, and to use it as the second pc.

I have a P200, 64mb, 1gb. Does windows 95 not too bad. Office 2k too, plays VCDs, emai and internet with a 56k and has a 10BT lan card. Should get a upgrade some time, it is a bit slow but it works with the above applications. Registry errors is an issue and so is reliability of win95.

cyberchuck

In all fairness a 586 processor is overkill for a smoothwall/ipcop machine and in all fairness I'd reccomend just keeping with ZoneAlarm - mainly because Zone monitors the connections coming from your machine and gives you options for each program, whereas Smoothwall just protects the network from the big bad internet and doesn't care what connects from it.

CyberChuck

Elephant

If it was me I'd try Linux on it so you can learn.

If you don't have the time or inclination to do that then I would suggest Win95 and give it away.

I would not bother to set it up as a firewall as such. I use Kerio for that and haven't had a problem. Naturally I also use Antivirus and keep it updated.

I do ( of course ) realise that Microsoft will not support Win95 anymore so if the new owner of the computer wants updates etc.........

Hope this helps.