Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Billy T

Default Trap for young players on capped Jetstream 500

Hi Team

Just a quick heads-up for anybody sharing multiple computers on a full speed Jetstream 500 plan.

I have surfed happily for many months without exceeding my 500MB cap, average MB being less than 400 and max usage being 460MB, however for August and September I suddenly used well over 600MB per month and ran into $60 worth of excess MB charges.

Serious questions were asked by SWPTB

I hadn't changed my surfing habits, but I had added three computers to my AV auto-update, and enabled auto-update on a couple of other programs to keep my system admin time down. It gave me quite a surprise to see all those extra MB I can tell you, and further serious questions were asked of junior computer users to make sure they had not been *cough* overly active on the net.

I need the higher speed of full Jetstream for business reasons and it's pretty quick here as I am less than 2Km from the exchange so I have upgraded to Jetstream 1000. Taking into account the recent drop of $10 in Telecom's Jetstream pricing, the extra 500MB will only cost me $10 over my previous outlay and that is much better than $30+ per month of excess traffic charges.

Just be wary, those MB can creep up on you, especially if some MS critical updates pop up, and the AV fraternity is busy writing new definitions.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :|
    [b][pre]Just love those updates and downloads on the PCW CD!
    Keep them coming fellas, they save time & MB over
    downloading individually.

nzStan

Default Re: Trap for young players on capped Jetstream 500

Online games can consume a heck of a lot of traffic.

Battlefield 1942 has to be the top of the bandwidth eater - regularly going through 30-40MB in an hour of game.

Americas Army around 20MB per hour.

A friend of mine was going to order JS 256kbps 500 this week (recommended by the nice Telecom sales lady on the phone), until I told him to change it to Jetstart.

Stumped Badly

lol
    Despite my warnings my brother got me to network his new flatmates comp to his, so he could use my brothers jetstream.
    I told him to keep an eye on the usage as it can creep up as you say especially in a network environ.
    He said don't worry about it, he won't be online that much.
    This months bill was over for the 1st time in 7 months. $256.00 over in fact.
    Being the miserable so & so I am I've been "saying told you so" for a week & loving it.

agent

One should be wary of automatic updates...

My advice would be to download the redistributable files manually, and if your AV vendor makes them, executable definition updates rather than ones updated from within the program.

Of course, you probably already know that...

-=JM=-

You use less than 500MB usually I really should get out more

You could at running something like smoothwall if you've got a spare machine about. This has the added benefits of being a good firewall protecting all the computers on the network from external attack. As well as running a squid proxy which will cache items so that when others need them they won't always have to get a fresh copy from the internet. I know someone with a setup like this and when he does his NAV updates it's almost done instantly because someone else has usually already downloaded them and they're now sitting in the cache.

agent

How would a 233MHz machine with a 2GB HDD and 96MB RAM (shared, ~4MB with video) do running Smoothwall?

mejobloggs

Far, same as me nearly. I have the same plan (full speed jetstream) and telecom jetstream meter says i use 800 mb a month. Hmmmmmm.

Yet watchdog, my isp, says I use 200mb a month. Hmmmmm again.

I wouldnt have a clue how it all works, but I have to have a Jetstream 1000 from telecom, and a Jetstream 500 from watchdog.

Im paying too much somewhere, I am confused.

segfault

> How would a 233MHz machine with a 2GB HDD and 96MB
    > RAM (shared, ~4MB with video) do running Smoothwall?

Thats heaps! Smoothwall would hum along on that quite nicely.

bmason

A 486 would handle a jetstream connection. That machine would be excellent.

When you install it make sure you turn on "transparent proxy" and it will cache all HTTP & FTP connections so you don't need to configure any computers (and catch people too lazy to set it up). And bump up the cache size as well make the most of the HDD.

Just make sure smoothwall can talk to your ADSL modem.

agent

I figured those specs were enough, but it sounds like they are more than enough.

Still, I probably won't use it, because I'm betting soon that my Windows 2000 server will be back up and running, and as that used to handle internet via a proxy, having another computer running wouldn't really be necessary.