Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Azrael

Default Hiding my Ip address?

I'm after a free program thats going to afford me more privacy online and hide my IP address. Zonealarm is all good but what else is out there?

Rod ger

Default Re: Hiding my Ip address?

Who from? if your IP address is hidden you cannot operate on the internet. Think of the mailman with a blank envelope as an metaphor. You could try a Proxy to add an additional step between you and the sites you visit. All the scanners with their nasties are still going to hit on your IP how ever much you "hide" it, a firewall just won't let on there is anyone home.

Kame

Impossible to hide your IP, only way is to prevent people knowing it exists. Which is what ZoneAlarm does, so scanners will do the rounds now and again, but with a firewall in place it should stealth it so that it'll return back to the scanner that the address didn't exist e.g. same as not being on the internet/not allocated to someone.

ZoneAlarm will not prevent connections to servers (unless configured wrong), and the servers you connect to need your actual IP Address. You may or may not of heard about IP Spoofing which is disguising your IP and alternatively with the right timing you can intercept information from the server being sent back to the spoof ip. Most servers should be protected from this attack.

If you think people are out to get you then there's methods of making your connection harder to reach the right IP by sending it through multiple routers, you can also use anonymous proxies, www.megaproxy.com is a good one, but they limit the things you can do.

Explain more, why you want to hide your IP address, as I've heard many stories for reasons why people want to do it and they think their firewall isn't stopping it, but sometimes firewalls can't stop connections to servers that cause the problem. e.g. chatroom getting booted.

Azrael

I think paranoia would probably be the main reason!

But, in truth, despite Ad-aware and Zonealarm I'm still finding the occaisional file I know got on my hard-drive from the net. A Google showed up SurfAnonymous 1.0 (http://www.newfreeware.com/utils/1551/) but you're suggesting a firewall is enough?

Graham L

Well, the only way to have a computer safe from any outside nastiness is to unplug it from the Internet, remove the floppy drive, remove the power cord and put it in a securely locked room.

stu140103

>but you're suggesting a firewall is enough?

If you want to test to see how good your firewall is go to Gibson Research Corporation then scroll down to ShieldsUP!( here is a direct link) this should tell you how good your firewall is.

PS: I am on a ADSL connection (JetStream Starters & we are using the win XP firewall & zone alarms firewall & all our ports are Stealth

stu140103

>but you're suggesting a firewall is enough?

Nope, you need a Anti-Virus Program & firewall + ad-aware + spybot search & destory + a popup stopper.

do a search on here to find good popup stoppers &/or where to download the above Program's & then you need to use Common sense when surfing the net.

Azrael

> PS: I am on a ADSL connection (JetStream Starters &
    > we are using the win XP firewall & zone alarms
    > firewall & all our ports are Stealth

Would one's ports be set to "stealth" by default, or is this something I need to set?

Cheers for the links/advice.

stu140103

> > PS: I am on a ADSL connection (JetStream Starters
    > &
    > > we are using the win XP firewall & zone alarms
    > > firewall & all our ports are Stealth
    >
    > Would one's ports be set to "stealth" by default, or
    > is this something I need to set?

I think you Do Not need to set it, the firewall should do it,
    but one thing I meant to say is if you ports are either "stealth" or "closed" that is a good thing

agent

Don't forget that if a firewall simply absorbs every blocked connection to a port, you can be spotted just as easily as if you were broadcasting on that port. Why? Because if no packet is sent back telling a person the port or IP doesn't exist, it will appear is a "blackhole" of sorts.