Thread: Printer madness

Thomas

Default Printer madness

. Printer madness I see printer madness has reached new heights - at a shop in downtown Wgtn you can buy a Lexmark Z32 printer for $55incl, the replacement black cartridges cost $57+GST at Corpcons. I.e. it is cheaper to buy an entirely new printer and chuck away the "old" one each time you run out of ink!!!

godfather

Default Re: Printer madness

Sorry to dissapoint, but the ink loading of the cartridges in most new inkjets is only 1/2 that of a new replacement cartridge.

The Lexmark Z32 was discontinued in 2001. They were specialled out some years ago here, I remember I wanted a copy of WordPerfect at the time, and it came with a free Z32. Gave the printer away, and it nearly sent the new owner broke buying the cartidges.

Thomas

Are you dissapointed that they don't give you what one would expect,a full cartridge?

Billy T

I've bought four Canon Inkjets and every one came with full capacity cartridges. But then, I didn't buy the cheapest model on the market.

I buy Canon because the cartridges are separate, which makes them much more economic to replace.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

godfather

> Are you dissapointed that they don't give you what
    > one would expect,a full cartridge?

No, not dissapointed, because I knew before I bought any inkjet what the story was.
    Given that I have bought around 20+ printers in the last few years, I was well aware.

TINSTAAFL after all.

And Billy, I agree the separate tanks for Canon are good.
    But how would you feel if having purchased a top end large format Canon printer only a few short months before, they were unable to supply a 32 bit driver for it?
    The in-house software had to change, but the printer had to be scrapped. It cost thousands at the time.
    Canons view was "its only sold in Australasia, so we will not support it".

Billy T

Yes, I heard about that one GF.

Myself I would have put an old computer in as a print server using a compatible (read W98/W2K) OS to run the drivers just for that printer. Of course I may have missed something there, as it sounds too easy, but transferring the file to the older box would/should have allowed it to print. I assume this was one of the casualties of XP?

I am stuck with (DOS) instrument software that won't print via any of my systems now other than one Canon BJC610 in IBM emulation mode and that printer is getting long in the tooth now. When that dies I'll be reduced to printing screen shots!

Cheers

Billy 8-{)