Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Oxie

Default Windows 98 Update Woes - part two

As mentioned in a previous thread today I decided to update Windows 98 security and critical updates on my old computer. First I installed IE 6, followed by something called Direct X9.0b End-user Runtime (separately), followed by all the others. On completion I was given a message that 330994 plus one other did not install properly. On restarting the computer I received the message "Windows encountered an error accessing the system registry. Windows will restart and repair the system registry for you." After the computer restarted I went back to Windows Update to see which updates I do not have. It started scanning for updates and then stopped giving me this message -

"Administrators Only
    To install items from Windows Update, you must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group. If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings may also prevent you from completing this procedure.

Note If you are running a Windows 2000 (except DataCenter), Windows XP, or Windows Server 2003 operating system, you can run the local administrator account on your computer without having to log off and then log on again.

To run as the local administrator in Windows XP or Windows Server 2003:
    1. Click Start, and then click All Programs (or right-click Windows Update if it is available).
    2. Right-click Windows Update.
    3. Click Run as on the menu that appears.
    4. Do one of the following:
    o Enter the password for the administrator.
    o Enter the user name, domain name, and password of a different user account that has administrative permissions on this computer.

To run as the local administrator in Windows 2000:
    1. Click Start, right-click Windows Update, and then click Run As on the menu that appears.
    2. Do one of the following:
    o Enter the password for the administrator.
    o Enter the user name, domain name, and password of a different user account that has administrative permissions on this computer.

If the option to run as the local administrator is not available:
    1. Click Start, right-click Windows Update, and then click Properties.
    2. Click the Shortcut tab, and then select the Run as different user check box."

How can I continue to scan for updates? I am running Window 98 and am the only user. Is it something to do with the Direct X9.0b file, and if so how come I could go into Windows Update afterwards to install all the other files?

Your comments are most welcome.

Lyn (Oxie)

kiwibeat

Default Re: Windows 98 Update Woes - part two

i dont think DX9 was intended for 98 stick with 8

mark.p

http://www.microsoft.com/windows98/d.../corporate.asp for win98 specific updates. It appears auto updating is filling your box with NT based Windows crap-ie not required.

mark.p

While I'm at it my I suggest using another web browser/e-mail clients such as Mozilla-http://mozilla.org/

Oxie

Mark, I actually never use Explorer. I have always used Netscape and will continue to do so. However, to update Windows files I have to user Explorer for it to scan the computer and install at its site

Lyn

mark.p

Did you look at the above link I posted ?

mark.p

The link re MS Windows 98 I mean. Congrats for not using that bug infested browser on a regular basis btw

Oxie

Mark, yes I had been to that link earlier in the day. Initially I started to download all the updates separately to later install and burn to CD. This was because IE5 was not working at all a few days ago. I tried to access the Windows update site and the browser would not even work - for any site. Hence, I thought my only option was to use Netscape and download all the updates separately. After the first 8 I decided to see if IE5 would work, and for some reason it decided it was going to perform. So at that stage I used IE5 to visit the update site to install the updates. First it wanted IE6 and then DirectX9.0b End-User Runtime. I assumed I should intall them first and then let windows update install all the other critical/security ones in one go. That is when my problems began. Oh what fun

Oxie (Lyn)

mark.p

I will mention it again-Windows Update is trying to install NT based Windows files on a Dos based Windows system-your's-don't use it!

Oxie

Hmmm, after skim reading all the updates I was under the impression they were all for Win98. Surely if they mention Win98, then one would assume they were for Win98? I know I am no expert, and was just following what I thought would be a practical solution.

Lyn