Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    GeoffW

Default Ghost, Drive Image or True Image

Hi

Can anybody please tell me which one is the one I should go for. Ghost, Drive Image or True Image

Thanks

GeoffW

Crunn

Default Re: Ghost, Drive Image or True Image

This is probably not much help to you. Have both Ghost and Drive Image and had problems with them. Make an image and then and restore it and pooffffffff - corrupt image !!! No warning when creating the image. It's a bit late when you want to restore. I found that the best chance came with no compression of the image file, but that slightly defeats the object of having a compression facility. Perhaps I have just been unlucky.

Crunn

Archibald

Never tried Drive Image but I can honestly say that Ghost is the Bees Knees.

Hate to be without it!

Peter H

If you have Nero, use HDBackup. Worked for me many times, and in my opinion, after trying the others, easiest.
    Bye

Billy T

I use Ghost with maximum file compression & have never had a problem. If in doubt or nervous you can use CRC checking, or use Ghost Explorer to check that the directories are all there and the files work.

I am very satisifed with Ghost, so much so that I am now on my third version, having started with the original Ghost personal, moved through Ghost 2001 and now use Ghost 2003.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Jen C

I am also a big fan of Ghost (2003). It is easy to use and has a nice wizard to guide you. It also has Ghost Explorer which acts like Windows Explorer from which you can browse through previous saved images and copy individual files from that image if you wish.

I have only had one dud image so far (Murphy's Law, it was the only one I hadn't verified the image afterwards) which I was unable to use to restore from.

If you decide to go with Norton Ghost, you may find buying the Norton SystemWorks Professional Edition 2003 the best bet. It includes Ghost as well as Antivirus and various other additional utilities which are quite handy. I have seen some boxes which include a money-back voucher ($50) for an upgrade rebate (this is for any previous Symantec software).

kiwibeat

I use Drive IMage on 98SE never had a problem restoring yet using compressed image very easy to use

Chilling_Silently

Errr... Yeah.. What Jen said about Ghost 2003 ;-)

Its a great app, used it quite a bit when I used Windows, but its kinda obselete for me now, lol.

Ghost Explorer is cool, bein able to restore only parts of an image file.

Ive used Max compression always, and even in a corporate scenario (With Ghost Corporate of course...) the images have never failed me.. Maybe Im just an odd one out here ;-)
    Ive even burnt a 1.6GB Image between 3x CD's (By .Zip splitting) and its still been fine!

Sadly, I cant say Ive used True or Drive Image, although I do have a copy of Drive Image, so I should really get round to trying it out someday for the Family's PC.. hmm.. that's a thought.

Anyway, add another one "For Ghost" :-)

Cheers

Chill.

Jen C

> Its a great app, used it quite a bit when I used
    > Windows, but its kinda obselete for me now, lol.

You do know that Ghost 2003 can backup, restore and clone Ext2/Ext3 file systems? This is done by starting the PC with a ghost boot disk and running ghost.exe from there.

Chilling_Silently

Cool, I might have to try that then :-)
    I wonder if you can install it under WINE