Rockman

Default Internet connection sharing nearly there!!

Hi,

Well, I finally got my PC networked successfully thanks to my Firewall (Zone Alarm) being the culprit.!!!

I have managed to get both of my PCs working well with ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) but not quite to the extent where I can use it everyday on the client machine.

I am somewhat puzzled why I can get the ICS up and running on both PC's, if I uninstall Zone Alarm and start ICS from the beginning and then re-install Zone Alarm back on both machines.

What's really troubling is that the next day I try to access the internet using the Client machine, It fails continuously. However, the client machine can dial successfully on the host, but a "No See No Can Do.... result"

I have followed the steps outlined in Zone Alarm for ICS, but cannot find or understand why I cannot get the Internet the following day on my client?

Can anyone recommend any fix or using ICS with Zone Alarm installed on their systems?

Regards
    Ricardo

LucyL

Default Re: Internet connection sharing nearly there!!

Instead of using Zone Alram, try using Kerio or Tiny Personal Firewall (same as Kerio but easier to use). Both are free downloads and work ok with ICS
    Cheers Lucy

Crunn

Have you been into Zone Alarm alerts and logs area to see if it really is the culprit ? It will show there if it is blocking anything. If it is give it peermission and should go. Personally, with a small network, i.e. 2machines, I found it less trouble to turn the ICS off and configure manually. It isn't that difficult.

Crunn

Rockman

> Have you been into Zone Alarm alerts and logs area to
    > see if it really is the culprit ?

Yes and No. No I haven't been checking the alerts and logs areas. Yes Zone Alarm was the culprit when I had trouble networking between 2 Pcs running W2K. Everything I tried, ended up being in a loop. A few people from PC stores suggest that It had to be a security setting or one suggested that I reinstall Windows 2000 and I knew this wasn't true. A more precise suggestion, that my firewall was more likely a 95% cause, and it was.

>It will show there
    > if it is blocking anything. If it is give it
    > permission and should go.

I frequently sent the option to send "alerts locally if forwarded to client machines". I have tried giving full permissions to both machines. Theoretically, I suggested, that maybe because my connection is a dialup, the IP address was changing and I had to always give permission for every different alert I received. But this wasn't the case.

>Personally, with a small
    > network, i.e. 2machines, I found it less trouble to
    > turn the ICS off and configure manually. It isn't
    > that difficult.

Well Crunn, you may of seem to make this look easy from your end. However, I upgraded Zone Alarm from the one I was using at the time version 2.6.36 to 3.0 pro. I am trying this one, to see if this could solve any other related issues.

Then how did you manage to configure ICS off manually? This is not to say that I cannot get ICS up and running, but this will only work successfully if I do not have Zone Alarm installed. However, I would like to have some protection when using the Internet at the same time, as why I wanted to know if any one else had similar problems when working between 2 machines using a firewall ......

So hows it done?

> Crunn

Rockman

Hi Lucy,

Thanks for the suggestion. However, I might upgrade to an updated version in case that the version: 2.6.36 may be the problem.

I have been using ZoneAlarm for years, and I will try everything, before making the big migration.

If all fails, well, looks like ZoneAlarm has done its time....

tbacon_nz

One thing that caught me with Zone Alarm:

On the ICS Server m/c, on the Firewall/Main tab, click "Advanced". Make sure the "This Computer is an ICS/NAT gateway" is checked, with the IP address of the gateway m/c entered.

Hope this helps.