Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    FredZundapp

Default The system administrator has set policies to prevent this installation

Ever got this message when trying to update/ install software like Norton, Adobe and others? Applies to w2k and maybe XP. Windows installer, by default is enabled.

Here's the fix...........start/run.........type: "gpedit.msc" .............OK............ Local Computer Policy/ computer configuration/ administrator templates/ windows components/ windows installer..........select "disable windows installer".

Craig

Default Re: The system administrator has set policies to prevent this installation

Also for computers which you are not the administrator to, and have high security so you can't install or anything, type this to change the administrator password so you can gain access:

Go Start -> Run -> CMD
    Administrator*
    New Password
    Confirm New Password

As you will have realised, this could be used for good or bad

Craig

Default Re: The system administrator has set policies to prevent this installation

Edit: Administrator * (space between admin & *)

arse

Hi Craig,

What if the "administrators" have removed access to the Run function also!!!!! They have hidden the C: too but I can access through the goto function, so do you know a file path I could maybe access?

Many thanks

aroc

Hi craig, when I do your command even with the space, it says it is unrecognised and won't do anything

MrBeef

sounds dandy, but how do you use this goto function you speak of.

arse

Our silly work is still stuck in the dark ages of NT 4.0........ so it may be a command that only this version of the OS has......

Sorry newbie here. I have tried to install Adobe Dreamweaver 8 but the error message 'The system administrator has set policies to prevent this installation'. So I tried the instruction given like run 'gpedit.msc' but an error says that the windows could not find 'gpedit.msc'.

I did a little reading about Group Policies and it says to run 'mmc' and says about add Group Policy standalone snap in. But The Group Policy is not available.

I tried to many things and surf through many instruction and it still could past the error message. Is there any other way to install the Adobe Dreamweaver 8??

I take it you're using XP Home?? I think gpedit.msc is only on Pro not Home.

Are you installing Dreamweaver over a previous version?? Or installing V8 by itself?

You could try the info here even tho this doesnt really apply to dreamweaver.

Yes i'm using winXP Home. I'm installing the Dreamweaver 8 by itself, no previous version.