Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    PoWa

Default Counter-Strike brightness problems !!!

Can somebody help me figure out my brightness problem in CS? Most stuff is see-able but in the really dark areas like in a tunnel or shadows I can't see anything without nightvision or flashlight. I know other people don't have problems in dark areas cos I get shot at no problems.

I'm also pretty sure they don't have NV on, I must be the only one that uses it actually cos I can't see without it. I've watched people snipe others in a tunnel and all I could see was blackness - The person wasn't wearing NV so it has to be some brightness setting :| Any console commands to increase gamma or something?

I've got the gamma level right up in the game settings, brightness is on max on my monitor, and I've even had a fiddle round with the Settings in Nvidia overlay control panel without much luck.

Running Xp Pro, Athlon 1.1, 384ram, 64mb GF4 mx440 8xAGP. Please help! Thanks

agent

Default Re: Counter-Strike brightness problems !!!

Only thing I can think of is that it's a problem with the video driver. My suggestion is to try reinstalling it, and also install the latest updates for both CS (and HL if you don't have the CS retail version) and your video card.

Or else everyone else is using nightvision goggles...

Jester

You can adjust the gamma in the options (Adjust Video Settings), or alter your config.cfg file in the cstrike directory

If not there already, insert

Gamma "10.00"
    Brightness "3.00"

Experiment with these figures in game and see what values work the best. Go to the console and type gamma, followed by the value, etc.

You also have an option to alter the gamma in the Nvidia control panel, and save this setting for when you are playing Counterstrike. It's located in Custom Colour Settings and can adjust the brightness, contrast and colour. I use that method, in the NVidia config allows me to save the CS setting, which I change back after playing. Doing it that way seems to retain the other colours rather than them looking washed out.

J

nzStan

Ur getting shot because you aren't jumping like a proper CS bunny. (heh)

mafiamonkey

Yeah I have the same problem too. I always thought it was because my monitor was s**** but now I'm not really sure. I've got an AthlonXP 1800, previously had a Celeron and I've moved from an nvidia Vanta to a geforce2 mx have updated my video driver regularly over the 3 years i've had my pc and I still have this problem. It's a problem with all my games and applications except ones which are particularly bright already. I have my monitor's brightness turned to max all the time and for games and video clips I still have to turn the app's built in brightness to 60 or 70%. This fixes it but some games and videos dont have brightness settings in which case im stuffed. The only thing I haven't changed is my monitor (a Likom) and maybe a switch to an ATI video card is in order.

Greg S

> Ur getting shot because you aren't jumping like a
    > proper CS bunny. (heh)

First answer - is get rid of CS and upgrade to a real boy's game - ArmyOps (www.americasarmy.com)

Second... (not an answer) I love ArmyOps because the "jumping beans" in AA that do the CS manoeuver are just pathetic to watch - I LOVE shooting them out in mid-jump!

PoWa

Thanks jester I think that config file modifications did it, I've now got it set to:

gamma "27.00"
    brightness "35.00"

I can see a bit better now. Still a bit too dark on some things that are in really dark shadow, but miles better than it was for sure.

How do you save your overlay settings in the Nvidia Control Panel??? I can't see the option you are talking about? I'm using 44.03 detonators drivers.

And yes greg I do play a bit of ArmyOps, downloaded it a week ago. Extremely difficult to kill people, I always get wasted. I heard you have to get 1000 points in a game to go up a single honour level. Far out!! Msn me on powastryker -at- icqmail.com and we'll have a game some time

PoWa

bump*

Greg S

> I heard you have to get 1000
    > points in a game to go up a single honour level. Far
    > out!! Msn me on powastryker -at- icqmail.com and
    > we'll have a game some time

Actually the points requirement increases the higher you get - I don't have the actual figures, but I think it's up to 3000 per honour point

Look forward to meeting up

Jester

I click the NVidia Media Centre Icon in the systray. You can set this up to appear separately.

Click Adjust display properties

Click Advanced

Click the Tab with the name of the Video Card (back top right)

Click Color Correction on the bit that slides out to the left

Adjust the Gamma, Brightness and Contrast sliders

Click Save As once happy with settings

Give it a name (mine are named after whatever game I have set it up for)

Click OK

Now when I click the NVidia Media Centre Icon in the systray, I can move the mouse over Custom Color Settings and select whatever one I want.

J

ps what servers do you play CS on?