Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    nomad

Default Is my phoneline capable of accepting Jetstream?

Hiya

I went onto the telecom's site and planted my phone number, does this mean my already have the wiring done and all I need is the $99 connection fee (and the filters?).

Availability for 04XXXXXXX

This service is available in your area now!

Your phone line is capable of supporting JetStream, and your estimated downstream access line speed meets our Minimum Target of 2 Mbits/second.

How much volume is 500MB under the real Jetstream? Is this adequate? Or is JetStart 5,000MB enough or not really?

I use for surfing with graphic intensive, like eBay, trademe, camera reviews like www.dpreview.com, downloading software updates, freewares like adaware, antivirus, and those dan service packs. Perhaps some game demo too. I tend to use about 200hr on dialup per month.

Nomad.

Jen C

Default Re: Is my phoneline capable of accepting Jetstream?

> This service is available in your area now!
    >
    > Your phone line is capable of supporting JetStream,
    > and your estimated downstream access line speed meets
    > our Minimum Target of 2 Mbits/second.

It should of given you the estimated lower and upper probable downstream limits as well. How far above were they to the minimum 2 Mbits/second?

Example:
    Estimated JetStream downstream access line speed limits:

Lower probable limit: 6.1 Mbits per second
    Upper probable limit: 8 Mbits per second

>does this mean my already have the wiring done and all I need is the $99 connection fee (and the filters?).

Note this comment from Telecom: Whilst JetStream is available on your exchange, sometimes factors such as distance from the telephone exchange or the technology used in the area may mean that we are unable to deliver JetStream to a particular site or address.

So all going well, you will probably be OK for a connection only option. Telecom regularly offers specials where they waive this fee ($99) so keep an eye out for it. You will need to buy filters (~$20) for all phone sockets apart from the one being used with the adsl modem. Don't forget to allow for the costs of a ADSL modem.

> How much volume is 500MB under the real Jetstream?
    > Is this adequate? Or is JetStart 5,000MB enough or
    > not really?
    > Perhaps some game demo too. I tend to use about 200hr on dialup
    > per month.

If you currently use 200 hrs/month and are already eyeing up game demo's, then the Jetstream Starter (JetStart) would be the best package for you as it has the much higher MB allowance. (You can easily blow a 500MB monthly allowance on a couple of game demo's alone). Most ISP's offer a International allowance of 10,000MB with free national traffic, so shop around for the best deal even if it means changing from your current ISP.

stu140103

Here is an example

Orcon:

JetStart:
    5GB ( 5,120MB) international data)--------- $19.95 monthly*
    Unlimited Domestic data( NZ based)-------

15 GB
    15GB ( 15,360MB) international data)----- $39.95 monthly*
    Unlimited Domestic data( NZ based)-------

*Telcome line charges additional

http://orcon.net.nz/products/jetstream/jetstart/

-------------------------------------------------------------

Quicksilver

JETSTREAM PLAN

Starter (128 k capped rate)

$29.95 Telecom Charge per month including GST
    $34.95 QUICKSILVER charge, per month, including GST
    $64.90 Total Monthly Cost excluding Telephone rental

- Unlimited National Traffic
    -10 GB limit International. 10c per MB excess international traffic

http://www.quicksilver.co.nz/QuickFireJetStream.htm

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

But like what Jen said "shop around for the best deal even if it means changing from your current ISP." is a good idea

nomad

Thanks for this. I was not given a upper and lower limit. May call 123 and confirm if a connection fee is suffice or if wiring is really necessary.

People getting cranky after missing phone calls (esp those from abroad). 2nd phoneline is $29.95 is not worth it when u add the $15 internet fee onto = $45 per month and its still dialup.

Telecom does a Jetline package of $94.95. This include a phoneline and a ADSL connection and the Xtra connection per month? Am I correct. Not bad when its about $55 more above the $40 montly telephone connection. But then Xtra does have a 5GB cap on intl traffic.

I will keep an eye for the free connection's. Thx.
    Yep add a modem, and do a network share access.

nomad

Jen,

I went thru another way and go this:

Details:

Whilst JetStream is available on your exchange, sometimes factors such as distance from the telephone exchange or the technology used in the area may mean that we are unable to deliver JetStream to a particular site or address.

Your estimated JetStream downstream access line speed meets our minimum target of 2 Mbits per second.
    Estimated JetStream downstream access line speed limits:
    Lower probable limit: 2.3 Mbits per second
    Upper probable limit: 4.4 Mbits per second
    If you choose to order the JetStream Starter plan the access line speed will be up to 128Kbits/second for both upstream and downstream.

Jen C

>Lower probable limit: 2.3 Mbits per second
    >Upper probable limit: 4.4 Mbits per second

Well you do meet the minimum target, but not by much. But as JetStream Starter is capped at 128Kbits/sec this shouldn't really matter.

Poppa John

Stu RE Orcon...I assume when you say *Telecom line charges additional" You mean both of them? The regular phone line charge + Adsl equipment charge?. If so it is still not affordable for most home users. PJ

godfather

Yes PJ, the normal Phone line rental charge is a totally separate event, and it always applies.
    Then there is the Telecom ADSL service charge of $30
    Then your ISP charge ($20 Orcon charge is quite cheap)

That gives a total of $50 PLUS your Phone line rental and any toll charges.
    Again, phone line rental and tolls are a completely separate service, the fact that ADSL utilises the phone circuit to deliver another service is purely incidental. That ADSL service could (in theory) be carried on your incoming power line, if there were no such things as phone lines in exisitence.

If you compare it to having a second phoneline just for internet dial-up, its reasonably cost effective.

Poppa John

OK Goddie. As I thought & as you have told me before. Still too dear tho at $ 90/month +toll calls. PJ

nomad

Telecom has Jertline package at $95 which include the phone, and the ADSL and Xtra of 5GB cap. Will wait for a free connection fee thou.

Ya - good by not having to pay for a 2nd line.

We need at least 6 line filters for the phones thou!
    Wire up the network cards by crossover method. No need for a router or external modem