sam m

Default why do I need SP1 to reinstal MS games?

Hello,
    I was playing around in "add/remove" cleaning out stuff I don't use. I was also wanting to delete msn messenger and reinstal from scratch. (I'll ask another question about why I want to do this later)

I went into the add/remove 'windows components' and got rid of it. In my haste I accidently removed 'accessories which was coupled with ms games (solitaire etc).

The problem is when I try to reinstal games it asks for XP cd, no problem (yes it is a paid official cd) but then it asks for the cd that has SP1 on it? (I installed SP1 with PC World mag). I had leant my copy of this to a friend so I can easily go get it but I am curious as to why I would need SP1 to reinstal games that came loaded with XP prior to SP1?

any ideas

sam m

robo

Default Re: why do I need SP1 to reinstal MS games?

When you install anything off the original disk, it might (stress might) install or even replace files that have been since upgraded in an SP.

Hence, you reapply the SP to ensure all programs that need patching are patched. It's pretty common practice even if it doesn't ask you to (for network servers and true geeks).

robo.

tommy

Default Re: why do I need SP1 to reinstal MS games?

I remember seeing somewhere on the Microsoft website a download for the MS games. Cannot find the page now but I did think at the time that it was a bit strange since the games come with Windows. Maybe SP1 updated the games?