Digby

Default Epson 680 printer ink consumption

My Epson 680 printer uses colour ink when I print in black !
    I can print for a whole month in black and I can see my colour cartridge petrol tank going down faster than parliament passing retospectrive legislation !
    I have been told that when it does a re-charge cycle or automatic head clean it uses colour ink is to keep the heads from drying.
    Do other brands or models of printers do this ?
    Also is there any solid test data of which brand or model of printer is the most economical ink cost wise ?
    Do not believe the manufacturers figure when they quote cost per page ! A page in their eyes is a about 10 lines of text !

Poppa John

Default Re: Epson 680 printer ink consumption

I, too, would be interested in Printer Ink usage comparisons.
    We have an Epson Stylus C20UX (acka 480 in disguise) unused, & the in-use Canon i550. The 480, like your 680, will have a single back cart & a triple colour cart. The Canon has 4 seperate tanks, it is possible to clean one colour only, like after a black refill which I have just done.
    Can give you the address of an ink supplier on the North Shore in Auckland if you want it. I have been re-filling for the last 5 years. Any problems?? Yeah sure, but the good far outweighs the bad. Poppa John

Graham L

Default Re: Epson 680 printer ink consumption

They make their money selling ink, not printers. If it's like the 480, it will do a head clean every time it is turned on.

Try eithet leaving it on all the time (it will use a minscule amount of power when idle) or turn it on only when you want to print, instead of every time you turn the computer on.