Thread: mandrake linux

bliss

Default mandrake linux

i have put mandrake linux on a Acer travelmate laptop, but now found out that the gui will not load , is there something i am missing here. can any one help me with this.

Chilling_Silently

Default Re: mandrake linux

If you've installled X (the GUI), and a desktop manager, like KDE, Gnome, XFCE, Blackbox etc., then try loggin in and typing:
    startx
    if that works, let us know, I will tell you how to set it up to start X by default :-)

Gorela

Hi Bliss,

What are the specs of the Acer. Main things of interest will be the type and size of graphics card and how much RAM it has. When you say that the GUI will not load do you mean that the X server crashes?

If you start the computer and purely get a black screen with a log-in prompt enter root and then the root password. Once in type startx If the GUI has been enabled it will start or it will crash

HTH

bliss

that was the first thing i tried , thanks any way

Chilling_Silently

try su'ing to root, and type:
    telinit 5
    also, check the /var/log/XFree.0.log and see if there's any errors!

You may have simply not installed X?

Graham L

Laptops present problems to the software. There are so many of them, with different quirks. I loaded RH 7.1 on my new toy yesterday. It works in command-line mode. Gnome came up in 640x480 ... unusable. I tried configuring the X server, found a monitor value which says its unsupported. I don't know, because the configure programme made the file unacceptable to the X software.

Try entering "acer laptop linux" to google. (Try the exact model, as well as "acer"). Apart from the "official" laptop linux site3 (there will be one ), individuals often put up their solutions for particular models they own and have had success with. Some aklso post the fact that they have tried hard, without success.

Chilling_Silently

You may wish to look into downloading DSL (50MB - Damn Small Linux), its a Knoppix hack job, and it lets you configure X really easily.

Ive got it to run on some Laptops where RedHat/Mandrake dont normally work :-)

There's two options to choose from when using DSL, one is using the standard Vesa driver, I cant remember the name of the other option, but its the one you want, so give it a shot and see if it works :-)

If it does, then I'd give it my best shot to get it working!

Hope this helps

Cheers

Chill.

*BTW - Even it doesnt work, DSL Linux is still a good tool to have in your pocket should you need it in the future :-)*

Graham L

Aha. I've just looked at google. "acer travelmate linux" gets you the goods. It looks to be a pretty good machine ... and the problem is the nVidia graphics.

It's bloody pointless trying another distribution, when you have a minor problem. You are better fixing the problem, rather than "avoiding" it by using a crippled minimal system. A 50MB "minimal" system might still have the same problem. (I call a small Linux one which fits on a single floppy).

The posting at wojas.wtp.delft.nl/acertn (a few down from the top will tell you most of what to do ... except that he did it with Debian (and had apt-get). Just download the stuff from nVidia, (probably a RPM?) and follow the instructions. Have a look at some of the other postings on the subject. (And possibly search for your excat model).

Chilling_Silently

> It's bloody pointless trying another distribution,
    > when you have a minor problem. You are better
    > fixing the problem, rather than "avoiding" it by
    > using a crippled minimal system. A 50MB "minimal"
    > system might still have the same problem. (I call a
    > small Linux one which fits on a single floppy).

I was saying that hoping somebody else might know what I was talking about with the X server... I prefer the 2 Disk Linux, comes with X :-)

> The posting at wojas.wtp.delft.nl/acertn (a few down
    > from the top will tell you most of what to do ...
    > except that he did it with Debian (and had apt-get).

Couldnt get there?

> Just download the stuff from nVidia, (probably a
    > RPM?) and follow the instructions. Have a look at
    > some of the other postings on the subject. (And
    > possibly search for your excat model).

Actually, its a .sh file now :-)
    Platform independant, shouldnt be too hard to follow, if you're able to post back that URL, its not working for me?

Graham L

I said to USE GOOGLE, damn it. I can't and won't even try
    to give links which are guaranteed to work. My typing is not perfect.

Google will, given the correct query, give the correct link. I always look at the cached version, anyway, not the actual overseas site. Sometimes sites disappear, but they're still there in the cache.