Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mejobloggs

Default New monitor - flat screen or not?

I am going to buy a new monitor. Im looking at a Philips 17".

I will use it mainly for: (not in any order)
    Internet
    Little bit of graphic design
    games
    word, typing, whatever
    webdesign

I was looking at the Philips 107S41, but someone told me that the flat screens are clearer, and good for your eyes.

Is this true? I had also heard that the text goes a little screwy.

I just want the best monitor for what i do.

Is philips a good choice? And can someone please find me a page about the 17" philips flat screen. because I want to compare it to the other one.

Thanks

Dolby Digital

Default Re: New monitor - flat screen or not?

Do you mean an lcd flat screen or a crt flat screen? Crt's would appear to be better for fast paced games, they go the a higher resolution than an equivalent lcd screen. Lcd's are radiation free, lighter, less power consumption, no screen flicker.

I reckon try the Philips and then an lcd screen which fits your budget. Its your eyes that have to live with it. I think that crt's give better colours for graphic work but anyone correct me if I am wrong.

Jams

ye, dolby is right. CRT flatscreens are better for gaming, but, LCD's are getting better with the FPS's. it wouldnt be such a bad idea to get an LCD, provding you are willing to spend quite a bit .

I have a Phillips 17" 107B3 Flatscreen with LightFrame 2. and its very nice when watching DVD's or playing games

Greg S

If you're going for a CRT flat screen I'd recommend at least the 107T, for a better dot pitch. Otherwise go for an LCD, which although not as good for games, is a lot nicer on the eyes, and is generally better for most other applications where absolute colour isn't critical.

Billy T

To avoid unnecessary heartache, before buying an LCD monitor it would pay you to familiarise yourself with the dead pixel/bright pixel warranty conditions.

See This Thread for the reasons why.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

mejobloggs

Nah, not an LCD, a CRT flat screen.

So, CRT flat screen is better than a CRT?

I saw a 107T and a 107X somewhere.

Where can i go to find out about all these philips monitors?

Billy T

A flat screen CRT is still just a CRT (cathode ray tube).

The only difference is the degree of curvature of the faceplate and quite frankly, for most uses the the "flat" screen isn't worth the extra money. I'd put my spare money into buying a better quality standard monitor myself.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

-=JM=-

I much prefer a flat-CRT to fishbowl-CRT. Though some of the non-flats aren't too bad. Some of them are just FAR too curved for my liking though.

Billy T

I'd check that claim out more carefully if I were you JM.

Seriously curved "fishbowl" faceplates disappeared with 14" & 15" monitors and in modern times curvature has been minimal on all but the cheapest (read "old CRT technology") monitors.

I use a Philips 107S which is a reasonably old design and has 10mm difference between screen centre and the screen edges on the vertical and horizontal axis, and nearly 15mm at the corners, yet it is virtually impossible to detect the screen curvature at normal working distance. The depth perception of the human eye just isn't good enough to distinguish a few millimetres difference between screen centre and screen edges at the typcal viewing distance of 750mm. At that distance a 10mm differential is less than 1.5%.

Correct setting of the screen geometry is critical to perceptions of screen "curvature" and E-W (pincushion) or N-S (barrel) distortion can make the screen appear curved even on a "flat screen" display. It is mostly an optical illusion. Lest you suggest that I have an uncritical eye, I should also add that I have spent considerable time dealing with video display geometry issues over the years and my eye is probably more critical than most. I can spot a geometry error at 50 paces.

The development of so-called flat screen CRTs was probably driven more by marketing imperatives arising from the need to compete with the upsurge in popularity and reducing prices of LCD screens than any pressing need to improve viewing accuracy.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :|

-=JM=-

Yes you're most likely correct Billy. It is just in my experience that I've found the flat screens better, probably also due to the flat screens being of a higher quality monitor than the non-flat screens that I've used.

Fully agree on the setting up of the monitor as well, if the pincushion is out of whack it can certainly screw things up to a great extent and make it look more round than it actually is.