DangerousDave

Default OT - Career paths....

Hello World!!!

I'm at the stage in my schooling life where i need to choose some sort of career direction. Anyways i'm looking at something in computing and i'd thought i'd ask some of you who will probably know... I had nailed what i want to do down to 3 options... at Auckland Uni, my marks are good enough that i'll probably be able to get into anyone i want. So i was thinking either, computer science, software engineering or computer system's engineering. Problem is, i don't know which! computer science would probably be the most interesting, as i'm wanting a career in game development. Computer system is hardware design which i'm kinda interested in. and software engineering is planning, which will be a bit boring.

Any sugestings to advantages and disadvantages to the courses, or any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

- David

Dolby Digital

Default Re: OT - Career paths....

Just beware, IT may not be the money spinner it was in the 90's. I'm a software developer of 20 years odd experience and it hard to get a job. Good luck, make your decision with all the information you have at that time... and see where the IT industry goes.

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~

Yea, rightly said. As I child I dreamed of owning a computer... And becoming a Computer Scientist/Engineer of some sort. It has completely changed now, it will forever be considered as a hobby, not a career.

If I were you, I'd watch you're dad's footstep very clearly. If you got the NZ Herald this morning, in the Canvas section, there is a whole article talking about people's salary. If legal studies is your interest take it, you get the rewards. In the table, legal studies types of job are one of the best rewarded for, paid for. But yes, it all comes down to the essays which some hate.

Otherwise, I have no trouble recommending the medical field. Dentist have the highest starting salary. Doctors can earn 100s of 1000s. They just don't get reported is what I've found out, earn so much they don't want to let other people know. Thats why these courses are so hard to enter.

Whatever you do, decide carefully

stu140103

> Just beware, IT may not be the money spinner it was
    > in the 90's. I'm a software developer of 20 years odd
    > experience and it hard to get a job. Good luck, make
    > your decision with all the information you have at
    > that time... and see where the IT industry goes.

I have to agree with that sort of

In my option, if you have the skills that people want then you can find work, but if you donít have the skills or the right skills that some one is looking for then it is very hard to find work.

like what Dolby Digital said "see where the IT industry goes....."