Chilling_Silently

Default Installation of the latest Qt source on RedHat 9

Ive downloaded the source file:
    qt-x11-free-3.2.0b2.tar.bz2
    and also the latest aRts, kdelibs and kdebase file.

Now, I try and install the Qt source, all goes well for setup etc. but when I come to install aRts, kdebase or kdelibs, it moans that I dont have:
    Qt >= 3.1.0
    with something extra added on at the end which I cannot remember (sorry).

Now, what am I doing wrong?

Talked to Segfault and used the following:
    ./configure --prefix=/usr/
    and that still didnt work sadly :-(

I do that, then a make depend && make I believe... unless it doesnt instruct me to, then I would be doing a:
    make
    then:
    make install
    Im sorry but I cant remember which I actually do.. If it's meant to tell me to do make depend && make, then that's what I've been doing (Rough night, cant remember seeing as I tried a few times this morning and have been busy since).

Ive even followed the INSTALL file in the source folder, it says to edit the .profile file in /home/username (I tried erasing that file also.. It wasnt there before I made it an inserted the relevant text).

I also know its not picking up my latest Qt (Which appears to all have installed fine each and every time) because when I run qtconfig and click:
    -Help
    -About Qt
    it tells me Im using 3.1.2
    Which is already over the 3.1.x it needs!!!

Any ideas?

Cheers

Chill.

Chilling_Silently

Default Re: Installation of the latest Qt source on RedHat 9

/usr/bin/gmake

That's what it is I run after ./configure :-)

Just been off here:
    http://blfs.planetmirror.com/view/cvs/x/qt.html

Hope it works ;-)

In the mean time, in case it doesnt, any other ideas?

I know I could just download the rpm's and it'd be done in all of about 20 seconds, but I feel like being difficult ;-)

Besides.. I only downloaded the Source files.. cant be bothered in all reality re-downloading :-)

Thanks in advance

Chill.

Gorela

Howdy Chill,

Even though you were having a few difficulties remembering what you did, it seems that it was wrong Have a quick look at Compiling and it might help. I know, I know! You hate reading these things but.... it might help

Chilling_Silently

Actually, Im on the family's Gateway PC right now.. just using SSH to access my Linux Box (Its not logged in, just sitting in my room with the login screen), and that URL showed as Purple in IE.. Ive been there.. read it.. followed the instructions, and that's why I checked what was in the INSTALL file on what to insert into the .profile file :-)

Ive followed instructions almost identical to those.. just following the ones from the previous site right now, but will try that and let you know how I get on if this doesnt work :-)

Thanks

bmason

Firstly, I think this will end up biting you. I would stick with RPMs or SRPMs. There should be some for redhat somewhere.

Anyway,

Did you remove the existing qt & kde packages first?

If you haven't you will have two versions on there. Probably with the older version partially overwritten.

Are the kde packages RPMs?

If they are the problem is because you have bypassed RPM so it doesn't know about 3.2. It may work if you use the --nodeps or --force options with RPM.

If they are source, you will probably need to add something like --with-qt-dir=/usr/lib/qt3 as an argument to ./configure. Have a read of the INSTALL and README files in the same place.

Chilling_Silently

Thanks Gorela, tried it exactly as it said on the site and still no luck

I tried removing the rpm's with:
    rpm -e qt
    and it failed on dependancies..
    I used the --nodeps and --force options with it but it still wouldnt remove it, so Im guessing I might as well get the rpm for Qt, and have a shot at building the rest from source, we'll then see how it goes ;-)

If you have any suggestions in the meantime, Im gonna be downloading Qt tonight, only Ive got other downloading to do so wont be installing til the morning, then those suggestions would be greatly appreciated :-)

Cheers

Chill.

Chilling_Silently

Hmm...

I've downloaded the file qt-3.1.1-6.i386.rpm and insatalled it using rpm -Uvh with --nodeps --force and it installed (it was moaning that kdelibs and arts needed my current version), I try running ./configure on aRts source or kdebase/kdelibs and it still moans about me needing the newer version of Qt :-(

What to do? What to DO???

rsnic

An easy way to get packages like that is through apt with a gui like synaptic saves screwing around. It will figure out the dependencies for you. Recommend you get the srpms for kdebase and rebuild it yourself.
    get these from freshrpms.net