Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    pat2pat

Default Dynalink router/modem RTA020 vs Belkin wireless cable/DSL gateway router

I purchased the Belkin wireless gateway router,which comes with 3 ports and a wireless lan port), hoping to setup a wireless connection for my laptop (wireless connection) and my desktop (cable connection) to share my Jetstream Internet connection. I am using Windows ME and can share files between the desktop and laptop thru "My Network Place" when they are connected to the Belkin gateway router. Problems arise when I try to connect to the Internet. It seems the Belkin gateway router (only compatible with PPPoE not PPPoA) seems to have problem in detecting the Dynalink modem/router. Anyone knows how to setup this network so I can share my internet connection for my 2 PCs (note I must use "infrastructure mode" not ad-hoc mode for the wireless connection because I want to add my ipaq in this network later)?

wuppo

Default Re: Dynalink router/modem RTA020 vs Belkin wireless cable/DSL gateway router

The Dynalink handles the PPP; the Belkin only needs to act as a switch / wireless AP. What model is the Belkin?

wuppo

Default Re: Dynalink router/modem RTA020 vs Belkin wireless cable/DSL gateway router

Connect one of the LAN ports on the Belkin to the Dynalink (i.e. DON'T try to connect the WAN port of the Belkin anywhere). (You may need a crossover cable if the ports aren't autoswitching or have a crossover switch). Also switch off any of the Belkins router functions (DHCP, NAT etc). That way, you use the Belkin as a switch + AP.

kiwistag

Depending how you have it linked, you can also set the RTA020 to act as a bridge.

I've got the RTA020 myself & it is pretty well set up.

Have you got your router pointing to the gateway I.P (Dynalink Router) also try the DNS forwarding option too.