miknz

Default fatal exception error

HELP!!!!!

I'm having a real bad time at the moment with some sort of blue screen fatal exception error when i start some programs, mostly i.e. and outlook express. pc is as follows-- win98, 128ram, 330mhz p2, ie6 hp6320 4 years old.

Error reads as follows on blue screen:-
    "A fatal exception OE has occured at 0028:c0297948 in vxd vwin32(05) + 000012DO when starting OEXP"

havent really installed any new software other than a couple of small games, system has been very unstablefor a few months have run nortons 2002 with nothing showing, also adaware.

Can anyone help with this one?

Thanks
    Mike

vk_dre

Default Re: fatal exception error

do u know wot processes are going on, ie i mean does win 98 also have Task Manager where u can see wot process(es) is(are) running in the background. If it does the cancel most of the ones that u know are not essential for the computer at the moment. If u dont know just leave them as they are.

cheers,
    v.K

miknz

Are you saying that I am running out of RAM when the error occurs and that i Need to free some up? I had Ram booster for a while but found it more hassle than it was worth.

Mike

vk_dre

that could be the problem but u should have enough dont u? How many programs do u roughly have installed that run when windows are activatd?

miknz

Wwith a ctrl, alt del I get the following:
    explorer, rnapp, reminder, hpotdd001, remind32, rundll, systray, hpohmr08
    anti virus is disabled at the moment

so not running at a high ram load really, thought the problem must be coming from a program error somewhere, have reinstalled ie 6 tonight and still got an error when i started outlook exp. the strange thing is that it doesnt show an error everytime i start it or any other program

is pissing me off

Mike

Murray P

VXD is a virtual device driver. It could be a number of things from drivers, memory, swap file, directX, runtime files. Do a search of the MS Knowledge base for your particular situation, start here, knowledge base is the top link, but you might be interested in some of the others.

Cheers Murray P

Murray P

Funny, just checked the link and it found a diff page to the one I copied from my bookmarks. hit the top link and it will take you to the page I originaly intended to link to.

Cheers Murray P

Babe Ruth

mikenz,

Sometimes Fatal Exception errors are very hard to diagnose... sometimes they can be attributed to RAM problems. However there are a number of Microsoft KB articles to peruse MS_KB , and also see the following sites aumha.org - Fatal Exception Error Messages and Fatal Exception 0E Errors

Cheers, Babe.

JWaters

Did you ever find out what caused the fatal error message for Hpohmr08 to appear periodically, as I also get this and one for Hposts08?

Thanks

Julian