Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Chilling_Silently

Default OT - PC Power Consumption

Long story short here:
    We had a power bill last month of almost 1 1/2x normal, and the parents reakon its coz I leave my PC running 24/7 along with my Speakers too!

I have a 250watt PSU, a Joe bloggs 15" monitor
    AMD 1700+
    2x 256MB RAM sticks
    Soundcard, network card, NV GF4 MX 440SE-T AGP 4x
    DVD-ROM
    7200rpm 40 Gig HDD...
    And I think that's about it!?
    Optical Mouse, and budget keyboard

How much power would it use on average? Im running RH 9, and have set it to turn OFF the monitor after 10 mins..

Any ideas on Per-Month cost? Just rough..

Cheers

Chill.

csinclair83

Default Re: OT - PC Power Consumption

well if it helps...
    i left my pc on once in a flat with nothing else going...like a compeltely empty flat...and i used it..24/7 for one whole month..well i wasnt on it that much but i left it going all the time...the only times i didnt is if there was a powercut...
    it was only coz the flat was leased but no one moving in for a month so i used it for downloading etc..
    and powerbill that month was $39 and some cents...
    but i using a
    winxphome
    256mb ram
    40gig hdd 7200rpm too
    opic mouse
    keyboard that came with computer

15" monitor

so u could maybe account for $50-60 of the bill maybe less?
    only if u DID leave the PC running 24/7

csinclair83

but the other thing u have to realise is..
    this was b4 the power crisis..and since then...prices have increased...
    or going to increase if they havent, and it depends on what power company ur with too

PoWa

Yes Chill, my parents have been saying the same thing! And out power bill is getting huge each month!

They're trying to make me turn my pc off at nights to save power. Well I just bought a nice quiet PSU, so they can't tell if its on or not hahaha. Maybe that will chew up a bit more power though?

I reckon the power compaies have put the power prices up heaps. That will account for the main increase in cost. Isn't night time useage supposed to be cheaper??

Were your parents complaining about your pc making the power bill big, before the power crisis???

godfather

The cost would be around $4 to $5 per week.

Based on a maximum consumption of 250 watts, which assumes the PC PSU is running under the rated maximum, and allows for a reasonable but not continuous use of the monitor. The other devices such as speakers would not be a factor. Of course you mileage may vary but not by a lot I suspect.

Thats 250/1000 of a unit (kWh) per hour. = 0.25 units per hour.
    Price about 12 cents (delivered energy) per unit, or 12c x 0.25 = 3.0c per hour.
    30 days x 24 hours x 3.0c = $21.60 per month, less 10% for prompt payment (assuming you are with Mercury)

When you say your power bill was high for the month, remember that you must check if both months actually had real meter readings.
    Its very common for meters to be read every 2 months, and the month in between is an estimated reading.
    It says if it was a read or an estimated read on the bill, very clearly.

Where the last one was an estimate, if it was too low, then the next one based on a real meter reading will be much higher as it catches up.

Also if the high one is an estimate, the next real read one will be lower, as it catches up (back) to the real reading.

In cases of estimated readings every second month, you can only determine the actual cost by taking the cost over 2 months (1 estimate and 1 real reading) and dividing by 2.

agent

Nice nifty tool at www.powerswitch.org.nz run by Consumer. Have a power bill handy (it might help in your case to average your consumption over four months) can estimate which power company will cost you less per annum.

Chilling_Silently

Thanks Godfather, that's the sorta thing I was looking for :-)

Although, 250w PSU.. Im certain its not running full last the whole time..looking at my CPU usage it sits around 4% most of the time coz XMMS is running.. the HDD gets turned off after a short while, DVD's not in use for 3 out of every 4 days.. so can I safely assume it would be using less power than that??

godfather

Yes, but I used 250 watt to allow for 100 watts or so for the monitor when its used. In Standby it probably uses 10 - 30 watts. Average it out.

The processor/mobo itself would be the largest single power user, then the monitor, and peripherals like drives would be minor, speakers would be negligible.

A simple way to assess whats using the power, remember that electricity cannot be destroyed, only converted to motion, light or heat basically.

In the case of PC's the motive parts (drives) are minor, so if it gets hot then its a power consuming device. The hotter it gets the more power it uses. The speakers don't run hot, neither do scanners. CRT monitors do. CPU's do.

Think how hot a 2 kW electric heater gets. Uses 2 units an hour.
    Think how hot a 100 watt light bulb gets. Uses 0.1 units per hour.

Chilling_Silently

Speakers are minor?

Okay.. So you'd say that it would mainly be the CPU/Mobo!?
    The monitor goes flat dead.. Obviously there's still power flowing through it, but the power light isnt even on!

Thanks for that info :-)

Just one more thing.. When the CPU runs at around 4% (As it has most of the morning while Ive been online), is it using as much power as when I run it at 100% during intense gaming sessions?

Thanks again

Chill.

godfather

> Just one more thing.. When the CPU runs at around 4%
    > (As it has most of the morning while Ive been
    > online), is it using as much power as when I run it
    > at 100% during intense gaming sessions?

That would depend on the architecture of the chip I guess, but remember heat. Is it still producing it? Then its using power in the same ratio. Same for video card.