Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WinME broken :(

Rob99

Default WinME broken :(

Please help ?:| First ME started locking up bit by bit every time I turned on the computer something else would not work. I downloaded the samsung HD utilities to format the samsung hard disk, seemed to format very fast about 30sec. but wouldnt let me patition it. Never mind so I carried on. Installed WinME again, set up all the hardware and tested it all, no problems... About a week after the install more trouble Windows and other errors every where even the blue screen of death :O
    I use Incredimail, IE 6 and not much else, I just want the damm thing to go!! Any ideas? Thanks.

Celerion 500
    20 gig hard drive
    Windows ME

qcgroup

Default Re: WinME broken :(

Rob,

I use Win ME & I've been having lots of problems. Probably like yours my system has had a lot of applications installed & deleted & web sites adding their "update managers'.

I looked at the list of tasks running & there was a long list - none of which I understood. Tried shutting them down 1x1 but thre were an infinite number of permutations.

After advice from some of the experts on this site I went to a site that lists all the possible tasks & I went through them 1x1.

Downloaded a program called start-up manager (freeware) & used this to delete the tasks that I did not need - there were quite a few. WinME will not let you delete start-up using MSCONFIG.

For example WinME "PCHealth" is set to scan the system every 5 minutes! ATI had 3 running all of which were unnecessary.

Perhaps you have some programs loaded at start-up that are over-loading the resources of this older type system?

Worth the exercise anyway.

The links are:
    http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup...tartup_all.php

http://www.answersthatwork.com/Taskl...s/tasklist.htm

This last has a link to a start-up manager.

PoWa

With Millenium Edition, you just have to accept that it will crash at least 4 times a day.

It is the worst operating system to date. Even worse that '95. But slightly better than Windows 3.1

Get Windows XP, 2000, if you don't want your computer to crash as often.

rodb

How now, PoWa?
    Win Me is a great OS for home and small business use. It will of course crash if strange, off-beat, badly written programs are installed or people try to do things which it was not designed for.
    Any OS will object if abused.

Lizard

> With Millenium Edition, you just have to accept that
    > it will crash at least 4 times a day.
    >
    > It is the worst operating system to date. Even worse
    > that '95. But slightly better than Windows 3.1
    >
    > Get Windows XP, 2000, if you don't want your computer
    > to crash as often.

Funny that. Running ME after XP struggled with my specs, and it's been running for several months crash free...

kiwibeat

I prefer 98 SE myself , ME was rushed out as a marketing exercise to earn quick profits , XP is fine but very bloated and requires a powerful up to date PC again an excuse to force people to upgrade if you are wellington can help you

Shortstop

At it again Powa! Trashing every Os or App you don't like. Like the other two respondents ME runs pretty well for me - might crash 3 0r 4 times a year. It's how you treat it that matters.

stu140103

I have to agree with both rodb & Shortstop

I have Win ME & at the moment I can go all week with out crashing (that depends on what I am doing How many progume I am using at the same time etc..)

revspecies116

I'm with POWA

WinME is carp

Had it on my comp for less than a week. Could not stand the stupid OS.
    Win98 is much better, but I'm with XP - great OS.

Rev Species 116

PoWa

Ok Shortstop, I actually couldn't care less. I gave my opinion. Who the hell do you think you are anyway?

Judging by how much help you've given this forum (total of 30) posts, I don't think you can comment. Or do you use another alias and are "too wimpy" to post such snide comments under that?