Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Caesius

Default Unscrewing Screwed Screws

Got a wee bit of a problem, I've been trying so hard to unscrew a screw inside my computer that I've managed to strip it.

Does anybody have any good ideas on how to unscrew the above screw, and what's the best approch when you stumble across a stubborn screw in the first place?

Cheers,
    Ben

tweak\'e

Default Re: Unscrewing Screwed Screws

whats the screw in?

try sliding a knife under the head and lift it out as you turn it. if its the head thats ben striped you can cut a new slot in it or use a pair if sidecutters or pliers to turn it.

Jim B

Drill the head off and then you can remove the shank with plier.

whetu

if it has a hex top you can use pliers or a ratchet to get it out.. if its a flat top, then if it isnt awkward you can hacksaw/dremel a straight cut across the head and use a flathead screwdriver to unscrew it. A bit of CRC/WD40/sewing machine oil on it wouldnt be a bad thing either...

metla

when it doubt....use a hammer.

............its all in the backswing........

Thomas

.>...........its all in the backswing........

I have to disagree there Met.,the power should come from the shoulder not the arm

Murray P

No no no nooo, Thomas. You must use your wrist in confined spaces, timing is everything.

Can you get to the pointy end of the screw, ie. the threaded shank end. I you can and the above methods don't work, you may be able to turn the screw out by gripping it with a pair of pliers or fine pointed multi-grip.

Cheers Murray P

PS. It's not a reverse threaded screw is it?

Thomas

If all else fails,a minute amount of tri nitro toluine should do the trick.

Graham L

Unfortunately, most of the suggestions are impossible ... this screw is down in the deliberately inaccessible bowels of the computer box.

I say deliberate because no-one who has ever used a screwdriver would ever design such things without being under strong instructions to make access difficult. :_|

Your best chance would be to drill out the head. Afterwards, remove all the swarf. That leaves the problem of not being able to remove what's left, after removing the object (motherboard?) held in by it. If it's a motherboard, I would have a quick attempt to undo the c reww with pliers, and if unsuccessful to leave it. Gravity's lovely stuff, especially if there are other screws to locate things.

Hints for the future:

Don't do screws up too tight. The best description I can give is "firm". Possibly, spin the shaft (rather than turn the handle) of the screwdriver until it stops, then give a "nip" more with the handle. This is "prevention".

Always use the right screwdriver. The wrong one will slip, and since the screwdriver is harder metal the screw head will be wrecked. If it's a Pozidriv, use a posidiv, if it's a Philips, use a philips, if it's a Torx, use a Torx. Use the right size. The wrong size will slip.

If it's tight, a bit of CRC ((2-26 or 5-56) or 3-in-1 left to insinuate itself might help. Be careful with spraycans ... you don't want the stuff all over the electronics.

If the screw goes through a panel -- or the bottom of the box -- the threads are accessible from the other side. It's easy to forget this.

FrankS

A fine needle superglued into a length of dowel is one way to put a small drop of CRC onto the end of a stubborn screw. There are tools called Screw Extractors or Eze It Out where you drill out about 3/4 s of the screw core then screw in the Extractor which has an end to take a tap wrench that allows plenty of leverage to be applied. The problem can be getting access to drill plus an extractor to match your screw size plus getting access to the extractor in situ. A fine smear of anti seize may not come amiss on the replacement.