Tina

Default Persistent Dial up Box

I am on a dial up internet connection and just reinstalled Win 98. At one stage clicked Windows Update, but exited as I changed my mind.

Since then, every time I start the computer I get THAT BOX which I cannot ditch without clicking the cancel button 6 or 7 times! It also appears as I shut down. It may not be 'an insurance worry', but I'd sure like to get rid of it. Anyone know how?

Chilling_Silently

Default Re: Persistent Dial up Box

You may either have a virus, spyware, or simply an app loading at startup that wants to access the internet.

Click Start
    Run
    type:
    msconfig
    click on the startup tab, and de-select all the options you dont think you REALLY need.. things like quick launchers etc.

Run Ad-Aware for a Spyware scan, and check out housecall.antivirus.com for a free online virus scan :-)

Chris

Default Re: Persistent Dial up Box

Another way to find out what wants to call home is to run a firewall such as ZoneAlarm that will require your permission to be granted for any prog that wants to talk to the outside world..
    If you dont want it to talk, or you don't know what it is... block it, then find out and if possible GET RID OF IT!

.Chris