davidack

Default Mandrake boot disk

I have a pc with a SCSI cdrom. Can anyone assist with how I load mandrake 9 with the SCSI cdrom. I am new to Mandrake and would like to try it out.

The info I have for my SCSI is :
    aha-154x/aha-164x/aha1535/ scsi host adaptic.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks ?:l

Chilling_Silently

Default Re: Mandrake boot disk

You should be able to set your BIOS to boot from SCSI?

davidack

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately the Box has an older MB with a bios that does not allow boot from SCSI. it would be great if it did.
    I am using this Box as I don't want to loose my main one at this time. I would like to experiment with Mandrake first.

When I boot form the floppy the CD options don't pick up my CDROM.

Any other Ideas I could look at are appreciated.

David

Chilling_Silently

Mandrake allows Non-Destructive partitioning if its any consolation, otherwise, Im sorry I have no idea

Graham L

There are a number of things here. The normal procedure for booting from a SCSI device is to tell the BIOS that you have no IDE drives installed. Then if the BIOS allows SCSI booting (or the Adaptec card installs its own BIOS extension --- some Adaptecs don't have the booting option) you should be away. If that doesn't work, Try a <control/A> while the Adaptec stuff is displaying.

If all that fails, I'm sure you can get a DOS session(either a boot or a Windows DOS window) and browse around in the 1st Linux CD. You might find a file called "boot.bat" or ("somthing".bat ) which will run loadlin in DOs to load the Linux kernel and start the installation.

If even that doesn't work, look in the images/ directory. That should give you a .img file or two to be copied to floppies using RAWRITE (there'll probably be a .bat file to do that for you).

If you have no luck, get back to us. I've just picked up a couple of boxes which have big enough disks for me to bother with a recen Mandrake. :d So I should be up to speed on Mandrake by tomorrow. I might even toss in an Adaptec card and a SCSI CD drive and see how I go.