Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    skidder

Default I know its a stupid question but . . .

I have been unable to find a definative answer to this question. Is it possible to P2P network 2 computers without NIC's? I know a x over cable is required etc, but what then. PC's being used are desktop and laptop. Cheers

agent

Default Re: I know its a stupid question but . . .

You would be thinking of a direct connection (can be used between two modems). Or a serial-to-serial cable. And you can get IEEE1394 (FireWire) networking kits. And direct link USB kits too.

Got a range of options, but NICs are easiest and fastest in my mind.

BootyLicious

Try USB cable.

skidder

Do you mean USB 2 USB direct using a x over cable ?. I think agent is correct in that I could be confused with dcc and connecting 2 modems. Dont want that, they are definaltley PC's. Not looking at FW (unless I win lotto 2nite). Serial to serial - whats the procedure for that? Cheers

cyberchuck

Hey
    You will find you will be unable to a modem-modem connection without a dialtone and two seperate phone lines, as each modem will use one line to communicate with the other.

DCC - Direct Cable Connection would be the cheapest but slowest way to do this, however, when I say slow, I mean slow - as in the speeds that old modems used to go at 9600 Baud or something like that... To do this, go down to your local DSE store and pick up a Parallel Data Transfer Cable (have a search on their website for Cat No. X8261).
    Unplug the printers on the PC and/or laptop if there are any, and then run Direct Cable Connection (you may have to install this if it is not there - it will be in the Communications Section of Windows Setup in Add/Remove Programs in the control panel)
    You will also need to install File Sharing on the Host PC (Control Panel > Network > File and Print Sharing > Allow Users to access my files - or something like that).
    Once this is done, run Direct Cable Connection and follow the onscreen instructions - that's about as easy as it gets.

If you have any problems with this, and you most likely will, there are a few factors to take into consideration:
    1 - are both PC's on the same Workgroup (this is a mini network don't forget)
    2 - are there any firewalls on the PC's blocking access?
    3 - can the PC's ping eachother (DCC will assign them an IP Address automatically)
    4 - Can you browse folders on the host computer from the client by going to \\IP_ADDRESS ?? (believe it or not, this sometimes works!)

CyberChuck

skidder

cyberchuck

Thats exactly what I wanted to know, many thanx.
    Concerning USB, will the same thing work using those ports and/or x over cables?
    Tks

roofus

My understanding is with USB 2 USB you insert the cables into each other then the computers should detect each other.
    Cross over cables only exist for uses on NIC's you don't have that situation with DC or USB

skidder

USB would be nice. I know the pc's should (probably) detect each other, but does that preclude having to set up DCC etc ? Would there be an increase in the speed between machines using USB?

cyberchuck

From my rather limited understanding of USB Connections, you would plug in the cables, and as USB is Plug-n-play you just have to install some software to tell the computer your using a USB cable as a network cable and away you go.
    If you use USB you will not have to use DCC, as you will just set it up as a normal network...
    There will be a significant speed increase as a result of this - from 9600 baud or something to 2mbps or whatever the speed of USB 2 is... - might even be up to something like 10mbps which is the speed of a slow network.

CyberChuck

skidder

Belated thanx to you all
    Skidder