Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Painty

Default Dynalink RTA220 ASDL Router

I have a newly purchased Dynalink RTA220 and can't transfer files either via ICQ or DC++.

The built in firewall is disabled so I don't see how I need to pinhole it.

Paradise are my ISP (though I don't think that matters as i'm pretty sure they don't block any ports)

It doesnt work even when all firewall software on my system is disabled.
    I had the same issue with a Nokia M1122 (since killed by a power spike)

Suggestions?

Terry Porritt

Default Re: Dynalink RTA220 ASDL Router

Have the same model router, and have the same problem as you. I havent found the full answers to either ICQ, NetMeeting or Microsoft Messenger for file sending/sharing etc. despite setting up virual servers with relevant port numbers, or even setting up DMZ.
    The problem lies with the Network Address Translation somehow.

What does work and worked well first time with no messing around is Yahoo Messenger, both for audio/visual coms, for file transfer etc. So that is what I would recommend. The only slight disadvantage with Yahoo is that the chat window is more like one way message sending rather than the simultaneously open chat windows you get in ICQ, where you can see the typing the other end comming along.

Terry Porritt

Also, I forgot to say, this router doesnt have facility for opening wide ranges of ports such as some applications like NM and ICQ require where ports are dynamically assigned with a range.
    So even though the Dynalink blurb talks about supporting NetMeeting ICQ etc, it isnt fully true. Only true for very limited use of these applications.

jackyht

Hi Terry and Painty

I have a older model with u, RTA 210... i also can't chat online anyway... it is because of the NAT (RTA210) and the firewall (RTA220) are blocked all those communication....

But in terms of transferring files, you can't do that too, u can do it thru Computer A and Computer B thru ur network only. However, the strange thing is, I can transfer files to people who have 56k modem which is really strange.

In order to transfer files or net-meeting, you really need to open the port for your router (that mean turning off Firewall or NAT on your router), but in this situation, it is quite dangerous as attacker starts to attack in, but i think dynalink actually give out the info how to open the port tho. I think i have post a similar message before.. hang on, i go for a search 1st and i will post the link again on the next message...

jackyht

i find it.

here is the link http://www.dynalink.co.nz/support/setting_pinholes.pdf

jacky

Painty

Thanks so'far guys.

jackyht : I did actually find that page on Dynalinks website. unfortunately my version of the firmware is newer (and consequently different) than the example posted.

I have requested assistance from Dynalink who I have always found to be friendly and helpful in previous dealings and will post an update.

Though please keep the ideas rolling in

Terry Porritt

Here are some useful sites with information on the ports that need to be opened.
    For NetMeeting:

http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;Q158623

http://www.homenethelp.com/help/netmeeting-router.asp

The big problem with NetMeeting is that the system has to pass through secondary UDP connections on dynamically assigned ports in the range 1024-65535. You cant do this with the Dynalink (Im happy to be corrected on this).

This site was really useful for ICQ, and at least it got Chat going:
    http://www.bubbledvd.com/Router/

The SMC Barracade router is much like the Dynalink, my son in Canada has one, we opened up ports 12000-12004 and set up ICQ as it describes and we got chat to work but not much else. Then something happened after I upgraded ICQ, and calls couldnt be accepted from either direction, but they could on one of my other supposedly identicle networked computers (identicle software that is).

We tried MSN Messenger and were able to send messages to and fro but not audio/visual contact. I think XP with UPnP is required, Im running Win98SE.

That was when we tried Yahoo Messenger, and all problems vanished

Life seemed a bit simpler with dial-up and a soft firewall.
    BTW, the Dynalink firewall is such a pain to set set up for all applications that want to access the internet. I use Kerio soft firewall in conjunction with the built in protection of NAT, it's so much easier to use.

(Why does F1 make bold type after putting in full URLs, but not when using the format [url= etc] ?:| )

sloanie

my friend has this router, he cannot download files from some kazaa users. its all to do with something called PCMP (those letters, wouldnt know which order). They suck.........end of story

Just get a DSE router......pretty cheap and they actually work!

Big John

You need to set you computer to have a static IP address and not use the DHCP. Once that is done you can use the DMZ to ensure that the RTA220 will forward all data to the IP you tell it to.

An example.
    The router has an IP of 192.168.1.1
    Set your computer to have an IP of 192.168.0.2
    Set the DMZ in the router to 192.168.0.2.

I send files thru Kazaa no problems with having to use the the DMZ. Transferring with ICQ does involve the DMZ but once set it does work as I have tried it and used it many times.

Terry Porritt

Yes big John, I have that set up of fixed IP and tried the DMZ for ICQ, but still we couldnt get ICQ file sharing or NM audio/visual to work, in either direction.