Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Icarus

Default Hard Drive Password Protection

Help! I have just bought a secondhand harddrive for my toshiba laptop satellite. It is off an IBM thinkpad (4GB). After a rather simple and easy installation process things turned to custard as it requires a password on bootup :\. The guy I bought it off (trademe) did not actually run it and doesn't seem to be forth coming with any help. Can anyone here help with some sort of bypass or is it a lost cause. New drives for laptops are so bloody expensive.
    Thanx

Lohsing

Default Re: Hard Drive Password Protection

Hang on... so you installed your operating system and then it asked for a password?? So before, you could actually boot in?

Lo.

somebody

Does this drive have your OS on it? It sounds like you're talking about it as a 2nd hard drive.

Is it possible to format it or erase the MBR?

Icarus

The password is required straight after bootup mem check. I have no idea what information is on the hard drive and am goin to fdisk and format it anyways. Any ideas?

PoWa

Something that protects the hard drive on boot up... hmmm is it running drivecrypt???

It sounds like you have put a bios password on your computer. Did you do that by mistake? Or are you sure the password is on the hard drive itself??

On startup, press whatever key to get into the bios setup, and once inside change the 'user' password needed to access the system. Then see if u can start up the computer.

I would be curious as to what was on the hard drive. It sounds as if it hasn't been wiped properly. If you can get in, have a look at whats on it

If you still can't access the drive to even format it, I would demand a refund from the loser that sold it to you on trademe. :-\

Icarus

The password is definately only on the harddrive, but as yet I haven't heard back from the guy whom sold me the dodgey device. I fear I have wasted my monies . Still, I wonder what is on it.

robsonde

email me "robsonde @ hotmail.com"

I have a toy I write a few years ago that might help.

boot off a dos boot disk and run my program and it will remove any boot sector info, password, virus, MBR ,partition info.

it's only a few kb in size and run it only one second.
    magic!

Icarus

I haven't managed to get it to see the floppy for boot before it asks for password :| . Not sure if there are any bios settings which may let me do this, will have to take a closer look. If so I think I can do an unconditional format (format c: /u) which should remove password. Will let ya know how I get on.

Lohsing

Did you complain about the guy on trademe??

Lo.

Icarus

He bought a bunch of them as a lot and sold individually so he had no idea the condition of the stuff he was selling. Will post a warning to others about buying stuff off him.