kbcad

Default Microsoft Backup won't Restore!!!!!

For a couple of years I have been merrily backing up automatically daily to a CD thinking I'm safe. But today I went to do a restore and - whoa- Restore would not recognise my CD drive with the .qic files on it. Brilliant! I'm running Win 98, Microsoft Backup is version 4.10.1397 from Seagate. Anyone know where I can get a later version or otherwise fix this problem? I have recently been having problems with deleting files from my CD which I have solved by formatting for R/W. Don't think this is connected, but maybe..... All help much appreciated. KB.

mikebartnz

Default Re: Microsoft Backup won't Restore!!!!!

Can't actually help but whenever doing a backup you should make sure you can restore from it.

Rod J

I doubt if the problem is the Backup program itself. As far as I know there is no update for it. Can you see the .qic files on the CD in Windows Explorer? If so, maybe you could copy them to the hard drive somewhere and access them from Backup that way.

Muzzer

Hi kb

I've seen a program somewhere that claims to read/decypher practically any format of backed up files. Have had a quick look at Iomega but couldn't see it....memory is failing. Have a look on Google. Computer Assoaciates rings a bell as well.

Cheers Murray P

bmason

Couple of questions:

- Is the CD readable? Try copying the file(s) to you hard drive to test. Also try opening the files from your harddrive, it may not like opening from a CD drive for some reason.

- Have you been reusing the same CD-RW, because they aren't all that reliable. They claim 1000 writes, but I saw a review where they averaged only 17!

- How old is the backup? CD-RWs don't last as long as CD-Rs.

- Whats your reason for needing to restore? ie whats changed.

kbcad

Thanks to everyone for replies. I now think the problem may be my CD writer, as I'm having trouble gettting it to read a disk. I ran a diagnostic on it and got error messages 05-24-00 and 03-51-00. \must check with HP to see what they mean. KB.