Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    JamesStewart

Default Wiring Ethernet CAT5e Cables...

Hey all. I am networking the home with Cat5e cables. Here are the products I have at the moment:

http://www.dse.co.nz (products on here)
    XH3283 - Cable Network CAT5e 1 meter (premade ethernet cable)
    X8996 - RJ - 45 Crimp Plug 10PK (Ends that plug into CAT5e sockets)
    X8543 - DSE Flush Place 2x Cat5 RJ45 (Wall socket that ethernet cable wires into the back of and ethernet cable PLUG into on the front).
    W2156 - Category 5E 350MHz Data Cable (10 Meters of "Blank" Ethernet Cable) < - - - The main problem!!

Basically I want all over them to work (well DUH!) but I do not know what colour goes where. The pre made 1 meter DSE cord goes like this: GreenWhite - Green - RedWhite - Blue - BlueWhite - Red - BrownWhite - Brown. Is this correct? I got a company in Newmarket to crimp the "blank" 10 meter cord for me and they did it like this: RedWhite - Red - GreenWhite - Blue - BlueWhite - Green - BrownWhite - Brown. Which one is correct? And does the colour code matter???

So, I can't change the premade 1 meter DSE cable, so do ALL the cables (the RJ45 end AND the end that crimps in the back of the wall socket) need to be: GreenWhite - Green - RedWhite - Blue - BlueWhite - Red - BrownWhite - Brown ??

Hope some one can help ^_^

Thanks James

BTW: I am looking that the cable with the "clip" on the premade and crimped facing down.

Mike

Default Re: Wiring Ethernet CAT5e Cables...

There are many who will say there is a specific colour order, but TBH I think this is mainly for ease of repeat work. It doesn't really matter what colour wire goes where, except that you need it in the exact same order at the other end, so find an order you like, write it down, and stick to it.

Mike.

JamesStewart

Hmmm, I will try now but I have tried before and nothing :/. Will post once finished.

JamesStewart

Oh wait! I won't be able to test the cable will I! Because the ethernet cable I am making isn't a crossover cable! Am I Right?

JamesStewart

Yeah, I did want you told me to do and then tried just using the premade 1 meter DSE cable and it dosn't work, which means I will have to wait for the router to come to test it. Thanks anyway ^_^

flying_green_leprachaun

if your connecting 2 PC direct then yeah yuo'll need to make a crossover cable

Heres what I found on Google as I've never made one myself

fgl

JamesStewart

Oh sorry, didn't really explain that I am getting an ADSL router tomorrow (which is now today ^_^). So, the cables can be differant colours as long as each cable has the right colours at each end?!?!? I think I have it now.

Terry Porritt

My advice would be to read up on how to make cables, this is a good site with excellent step by step instructions, dont forget always RTFM

http://duxcw.com/digest/Howto/network/cable/cable1.htm

somebody

Yes.. this is a very good site. I used it to help me make a crossover cable (however I went through 6 plugs before I got it right, because I didn't read it properly)

Graham L

Remember that the cable is described as "twisted pair". You MUST use the cable as pairs. The wires of a pair are twisted together. :O They are also identified as colour/colour+white.

The numbering of the pins in the plug is not what you might think: the pairs go to 1&2, 3&6, 4&5, 7&8. The only pairs (pins) actually used in xxBaseT are 1&2, 3&6. If you hold a plug with the contacts facing you, and the cable entry at the bottom, the pins go 1,2...7,8 left to right.

A normal cable (the only sort you should use --- there are adapters to convert them to crossover) is connected 1&2 to 1&2, 3&6 to 3&6, etc. If you have to make a crossover, 1 to 3, 2 to 6, 3 to 1, 6 to 2( and I suppose, 4&5 to 7&8.) But crossover cables are "odd" cables, and cause confusion when they get mixed with straight ones.
    When separating the wires to insert them into the plugs, you should not untwist more than an inch.