Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    tones_malones

Default small electrical question

hey guys, long time no post lol

I've just moved the computer into my room (its gonna be an all nighter for assignments) and i want to plug my tv in and watch it (good study technique i know), that won't muck up the computer will it?

Also the screen is resting on some old economic books (i knew theyd have a use someday) and the machine is resting on top some (really nice, but mum'll be pissed when she finds out) tiles.

any comments would be much appreciated, the last thing i want is my computer to go ka-put and me lose all my assignments :\

TTFN

TonesMalones

Murray P

Default Re: small electrical question

Hi Tones

I'm not an electrical expert but idealy the comp would be on its own power outlet with at least a surge protector but if that can't be achieved avoid having leads trailing that you or someone else might trip on bring the whole lot crashing down. HTH

Cheers

Murray P

Pheonix

Can't see a problem either. Also watch that air-vent holes are not blocked, don't want TV or PC to overheat.

Curious George

Just cover the tiles!! If shes like my mum, it ani't worth the hassle!
    A few squares of cardboard outta do it.

godfather

> but idealy the comp
    > would be on its own power outlet with at least a
    > surge protector

A separate outlet is not required, as these days many circuits are actually fed from the same circuit breaker, (particularly low load ones in bedrooms) so even if you plug it into a different socket, its likely to still be on the same circuit.

If it works, its not a problem needing fixing.

Billy T

For important assignments Tones (what other type are there?) remember to save regularly, or if using Word, enable the autosave function (Tools>Options>Save) and set it to autosave at 1 minute intervals.

According to Sod's Law, the likelihood of a BSOD, random crash, or power cut is expressed by the formula: DQ = (PPC x PPL) AHBS

Where:

DQ = Disaster quotient

PPC = Percentage project completion

PPL = Percentage project lost

AHBS = Available hours before submission

In essence this formula expresses the natural law that we all know and fear: That the further on toward completion and the fewer hours available for recovery, the greater the chances of a computing disaster and the higher the percentage of irreplaceable work that will be lost.

In its most extreme form, a mutation of this formula virtually guarantees that laptops containing vital PhD Thesis will be automatically stolen from the cars of individuals who have made no back-up copies and stop on the way to the printers to munch a quick McDonalds after working 48 hours straight to get the work finished by deadline. That or the satchel of handwritten notes representing five years of unique research will be left on the bus after a chance meeting with an old friend (lover) not heard from for years, never to be seen again despite desperate appearances on TV News and impassioned pleas for return, no questions asked.

Take no risks, trip over no power cords, take no prisoners.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Graham L

The turn-on surge of the TV might affect the computer. It shouldn't ... just do it the first time when you haven't got a lot of work unsaved. Also vice versa (if you like your vice versa) the computer supply can pull a lot of current when first plugged in, but an ATX will only do it the first time. (What about the TV sets on standby, folks? They should be similar).

Murray P

"A separate outlet is not required, as these days many
    circuits are actually fed from the same circuitb reaker"

There are only a few dedicated circuits (2-3) in any domestic residence and that has been so in the 27 odd years I've been involved in the construction industry. Depending on the types of energy used you may only have one dedicted circuit and up to 8 outlets per power circuit (RCD breakers) , so unless it has been specifically wired for, youre highly unlikely to get one outlet on its own breaker.

I didn't make my thinking very clear did I! I was alluding to keeping the area tidy from multiple plug connections to the same outlet. Of course you can use a multi box. I have a dedicated (as in no other appliances in that room) double outlet for my comp but still require 2 multi boxes for all the hangers on. But I also have a huge over capacity of power available and can afford to spread the circuits around more.

Is that clearer? .

Cheers

Murray P

Murray P

Boy....... Here I go again. I need to clarify again when I mention "(RCD breakers)" that is only a recent reg so won't be found in most houses. :8} Shouldv'e left well enough alone.

Cheers

Murray P

godfather

Amendment A to the Electricity Regulations 1997, and AS/NZS 3000 would be what you are alluding to I assume Murray!

Applicable from Jan 2003....

It's not widely read in the Industry, but should be....?