Glimmer

Default Textlink Invasion !!

A couple of weeks ago I noticed that whenever I log onto the net, instead of my homepage, I get this bland, generic webpage of links grouped in themes such as Entertainment, Health, Travel etc.

The web address is titled "www.fassia.net/wmed/index2.html". I don't want to provide a proper link as it may infect other systems.

The weird thing is that when I do click on the "home" button on Explorer, I go straight to the page I was meant upon logging on. The annoying thing is that whenever I submit on a vote, or click on a search result link I end up getting this fassia page. It's very frustrating. There seems to be no unsubscribe link anywhere.

I don't know how I got this page in the first place. Does this sound familiar to anyone ?

Jim B

Default Re: Textlink Invasion !!

This is a Browser Helper Object (BHO) that hijacks address-bar searches.
    Ad-Aware should remove it.
    More info here

Manual removal

Open the registry (Start->Run->regedit) and find the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run. Delete the entry called 'ASWnk' if you see it on the right.

Now open a DOS command prompt window (from Start->Programs->Accessories) and enter the following commands:
    cd "%WinDir%\System"
    regsvr32 /u msinfosys.dll

You should now be able to delete the 'msinfosys.dll' file in your System folder (inside the Windows folder; called 'System32' on Windows NT/2000/XP) and the 'primesoft' folder in the Program Files folder.

Glimmer

Default Re: Textlink Invasion !!

Thank you Jim B, it worked !!