Thread: scsi scanner

Blue_face

Default scsi scanner

Hi...

I have a old scsi scanner, Model is AcerScan Prisa 310s. the scsi card that connects to the scanner uses a ISA slot.

My problem is that I have just upgraded my pc to Athlon XP, Gigabyte motherboard (GA-7VA). however, the motherboard does not have a ISA slot, so i was just wondering if I can connect a scsi scanner via a parallel port and use it?

By the way, I'm running winxp pro.

Thanks.

rayonline

Default Re: scsi scanner

make sure u have software it works with the scanner in winzp. i mean the software u use to preview then transmit it to ur ideal s/w like photoshop etc etc...

i have a isa scsi card scanner by HP which when i upgrade i have to change scanner since there are no s/w for winxp.
    no; scsi is scsi, printer port is printer port. u could buy a PCI scsi card if u have software for winxp.

prob best solution is just get a scanner for like $100~~ and its new.
    isa scsi seems v heavy, old and large and slow. well thats wif my one.

godfather

Although the scanner plug may be similar to the parallel printer DO NOT PLUG IT IN.

You can / will do permanent damage, as the two are not compatable.

Captive

1. Not only make sure the software works with the device in the relvant os but also check the driver and other associated items work with the relevant system and os if you are to buy a scsi adapter [make sure its the right sort for connection to the computer and to the periheral]

2. yes i think your right in that it can potentially cause damage and should be avoided. I do know that just because you plug a scsi1 type connector into a db25/parallel it does not mean you will damage it for sure, but the risk is high enough to not recommend it. The reason i am saying this is for those who do accidentally plug a scsi device in you dont instantally have to feel like you've stuffed the port [and if this were to occur you could buy an expansion slot adapter such as pci, isa etc [typically pci in current IT trends]]

Blue_face

Thank you all for replying. I have decided to buy a new scanner, its time to get more new stuff