Misty

Default Webshots and defrag in safe mode

Hi
    I have followed all the advice and FAQ's re defrag and am getting good results. The peculiar thing that I have found is that I use F8 to get into safe mode which works fine. I check with control: alt : delete to see what is running and all that shows is explorer. When I do the defrag though (after scandisk) it gets interrupted by something searching for a webshots shot. Most peculiar since it is not supposed to be running. This halts the proceedings until I come by to check progress which slows things down quite a lot ! It has happened now on two separate defrags. (When I go into safe mode a sort of inverse background shot from webshots does appear).

I use Windows ME.

?:|

Pheonix

Default Re: Webshots and defrag in safe mode

Your not using it as a screensaver are you? Can disable by right click on desktop and choose properties. On screensaver tab, select none while you are defragging, then reinstate.

Misty

I am using it as a screensaver (what else !). However although I disabled it when doing defrags, before I latched on to safe mode, I thought the whole idea of safe mode was that it stopped such programs from operating ?

:O

Pheonix

Stops just about everything BUT screensavers and desktop wallpaper.

OMG HI

i read on pcworld that if you turn off your virtual memory and then defraged it would defrag the virtual memory file (which is wat keeps the systm going i guess) DONT TRI IT coz it stuffed up my computer so badly that i couldnt use it for days!!!
    just some advice.

Misty

Thanks Phoenix - I will make sure and turn off the wallpaper and screensaver before I defrag. Seems to be that means doing it in standard mode, then switching off and then going into safe mode. A bit of a nuisance but liveable. Some aspects of computers do not save a lot of time do they ? - that is, in ways that you think could be managed better !!!

:|