Thread: noise

Ron Bakker

Default noise

I was using the sound recorder with a mike but there is heaps of back ground noise. Even when I unplug the mike it's still just as noisy. So then I tried it on my laptop & it's exactly the same.
    The irony that a digital recording sounds lossy, noisy and a worse sound than my old tape recording days.
    Help Please

OMG HI

Default Re: noise

yea u cant relly help background noise, just tri doing it in a room with its door closed. and turn the mike recording volume so its most likly to record u than the backgrond noise. and make sure u turn off the speakers or it'll keep recording itself.

Patrick 2003

make sure you un-plug your speakers and turn your recording volume on high and maybe try to clean the mic.

somebody

If you've recorded it with noise, unplugging the mic won't help. The easiest way is to try recording in a controlled environment - what "OMG HI" recommended about a room with the door closed. You will also need to adjust the recording volume of your mic to minimise the background noise.

To prevent "feedback" (the screeching noise you get when you hold the mic close to the speakers), turn off your speakers while recording.

Realistically, unless you have a really expensive mic, you won't get very good quality recording. Also note that Sound Recorder on Windows isn't exceedingly good, and you might want to try some other shareware or freeware recording software.

sc0ut

>I was using the sound recorder with a mike but there is heaps of back ground noise. Even when I unplug the mike it's still just as noisy. So then I tried it on my laptop & it's exactly the same.
    The irony that a digital recording sounds lossy, noisy and a worse sound than my old tape recording days.
    Help Please

this may not be the case but hear me out
    some PCs with onboard sound have the prosesor so close to the sound ports and prosesor that when you do anythink like scrolle your mouse it makes a noise
    are you using onboard sound?
    i had to buy a soundcard because there was too much CPU interfeariance

somebody

That's a very good point. Could also be a cheap soundcard or cheap O/B sound which isn't very good quality.

Could it possibly be your speakers which are causing the "noise", and not the actual recording?

Ron Bakker

Yes that's the kind of noise I meant electric noise not ambient noise.
    Personaly I think it's the surrunding components causing the interference.

bmason

My old sound card used to pick up a lot of system noise (using headphones gave me a headache after 10mins) basically because it was a cheap piece of junk.

When it died I [attacked it with a hammer and] replaced it with a SB Live! which had no interference at all.

Unfortunately there isn't much you can do about a laptop.

Graham L

Attack it with a hammer.

I've picked up a laptop (Tosh Satellite) with no sound. I hung a Disney Sound Source on it with the W3.1 driver (on W95) and it worked ... but crashed W95 regularly. :-( So mine is quiet.

I wonder if all sound sources other than microphone are turned off in the mixer ...