Chilling_Silence

Default Liscencing Windows

I have somebody who's wanting to purchase a WinXP upgrade for their PC, and then use the WinME that's currently installed on the PC on another machine.

Is that legal if its they're using WinME as a base for the WinXP upgrade, and to then install WinME on another PC? They arent dual-booting, so It'll be XP only...

I just thought I'd ask before my friend goes and buys the upgrade, as he may be better off getting a full version :-)

godfather

Default Re: Liscencing Windows

No

If you upgrade, the sequential path licences must still relate to the original.

I upgraded a PC from W98->ME -> XP
    I need to retain the original 98 and ME software as part of the XP upgrade licence.

Interstingly, to re-install XP from an upgrade, you need to prove to it that you have a previous qualifying version. Showing it an ME upgrade disk is OK, you dont have to start at the beginning.

CYaBro

I'm pretty sure the upgrade liscence doesn't allow for that because you have to have an existing OS to upgrade from.
    But with the full version of Windows XP Pro they could run Win98 / WinME / WinNT4 / Win2k Pro or of cause WinXP Pro.
    Windows XP Home does not allow this though!

Chilling_Silence

Okay, Thanks guys, that was my suspicion.

Good to clear that up, I'll send my friend off to the 'Full Version' section of the website he wants to purchase the software from ;-)

Thanks

Chilling_Silence