Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Chilling_Silence

Default Open Discussion (No flames) - Why do you use your OS?

After reading through that thread on the Linux Problem, I decided to start this thread:

Why do you use your OS?

Why would you wanna use Linux?

Why would you not want to use it?

Which version of Windows do you use, and for what reason? (PC specs cant handle any newer version... Dont like Version X)

This is an open-for-debate topic, but not a flame session or a 'come to the light side of the world of OS's' topic, Im just curious!

This is for everybody too- not just the PF1 regular posters :-)

So who wants to start?

Cheers

Chilling_Silence

cyberchuck

Default Re: Open Discussion (No flames) - Why do you use your OS?

What do you do if you dual boot? or have more than one PC that you use? ?:|

Chilling_Silence

LOL - Okay, I'll start:

I use Windows 2K, XP, and RedHat 8.0 on my PC (tell just themain PC you use, or all your home PC's, i dont mind..)

I used Win2K for a while, but when I was given XP, found that the DX9and XP gave better gaming results.

Ive recently moved to using RedHat 8 a lot, just coz its something different, and something fun to learn.

Everything that I do in doze, I can do in RedHat, except use my el cheapo webcam, and my Wireless LAN.

I dont use ME, as I found it too crash prone, so never looked into it.
    95 is just too old for use now, and 98 is getting that way, and although its good for slower PC's, I dont really use it personally :-)

Ive begun to use Linux coz its something new, and free, so why not?

Anybody else?

teddybear

I have/use win98 simply cause I like it, & it does all I want it to do. very stable, user friendly.Apart from that it is the only one I've got.

robsonde

I run windows XP because it runs well on my system and is better than 98.

I have tryed to run linux but i cant get my onboard sound to work right.

for any linux foke who can help i have a CD of mandrake 8.3 and a soltek sl-75drv5 system board.

Chilling_Silence

Err... Try opening an XTerm window, type:
    su -
    enter your root password
    type:
    sngconfig
    Try specifying a different driver for it to use, as I found that about 10 different drivers worked with my Laptops Crystal Audio System which didnt have native drivers :-)

robsonde

worth a try......

I dont have linux installed at the moment but i will try it soon...

andy

I've got Win XP on my main pc, which I quite like now that I'm used to it. I've got 98se dual booting on my main pc cos some of my software won't run on XP. I've got 98se running my "rest of the family's" pc, cos that came with it and it works well. I haven't tried Linux for no other reason than that I have had no reason to. Windows does all I want and is compatable with work stuff.

Clueless

2 machines..

'98 on Vanessa... because it always has been since Vanessa was first born.. sorry made.

SuSE on Sam because i very much wanted to try Linux, and a friend came over with the SuSE box set and said copy these disks, so i did, and we set Sam up that night.

.Clueless

Jen C

On my main (new) PC I run XP Home with NTFS as I like the pretty toolbars and start menu ; and it is supposedly more stable.

On the second PC I run Windows ME and Linux Lycoris. Windows ME is a nice OS but struggled a bit for me with certain combination of programs and goes through blue patches, hence the choice of XP in the new machine. Lycoris was added (although I did have SuSE 8 at one stage) as a challenge for me to learn a non-windows OS. Lycoris is aimed at the home-user market and has GUI features similar to XP, which makes it a good starter linux OS (lessens the freak-out value;\ ). I am currently considering kicking off ME and going solo with Lycoris on that machine as a way of enforced learning.

As I only have the one monitor/keyboard/mouse at present to share between two PC's, ME/Lycoris does not currently get much attention from me.