Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Chilling_Silence

Default Re: ADSL with Ihug, and How likely am I to break over 10Gigs

Yes kiwibeat.. I know the feeling.

So basically you all doubt I'll come close to the limit.

Now, one more question...

Is the Usage Monitor actually acurate (To within 50 Megs)??

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~

Hey, just to let you know, I'm with Xtras Jetstart,

I don't do much download or gaming but i DO do a LOT of web surfing. *you know how much!*

To my suprise, I'm only using under 1.5gb EVERY MONTH. can't believe it!..... to be honest, ever since the second month I had ADSL, I'm trying to use up as much as I can, however I can say its very challenging to... for some reason.

Don't think you'll be over, unless you have thousands of computer all networked up in your house. * in that case, it'll probably be called a "server" which is illegal (against the terms)....*

Elephant

You don't say what you are going to be doing. I still use Xtra 56K dialup with NO LIMIT on Megabytes or Gigabytes. I pay 24.95 per month and it matters not whether International or NZ. When I want to download a 530 Meg ISO I use a download manager so I can resume. This doesn't happen very often. I normally just resume the download when I'm off to the sack.

Yes.... I would like Jetstream too but I have a limited budget for my hobby so that's where I'm staying.

I think it might just be very unlikely for you to go over 10 Gigs / Month unless you spend all your time on downloading video clips, MP3's, ISO's etc.

Having said that.... I just have ONE computer connected and just my Wife and Myself use it.

Big John

I am with Paradise and get very close to my 10GB each month. Last month I nearly used it all within 2 weeks.

Also one other thing to remember is that all trafic to your IP that you are connected to is counted. If someone suddenly starts doing a DOS attack on you it will count on your account as well.

Chilling_Silence

...And the usage meter works? Or has it been killed altogether?

Chilling_Silence

> Also one other thing to remember is that all trafic
    > to your IP that you are connected to is counted. If
    > someone suddenly starts doing a DOS attack on you it
    > will count on your account as well.

Hmm.... Good point..

1. I'll install a firewall

2. I reboot my PC a couple of times a day switching between linux and xp and 2K, so my IP is never gonna be the same for long ;-)

Might be a good excuse to stay running in linux.. use its myriad of firewalls ;-)

CYaBro

We have full Jetstream service at work with about 7-8 PC's all using the net and email and the highest we have been is 7GB in a month and in that month I did download a few Linux ISO's.
    So you'd have be doing a lot of downloading to hit your 10GB.

argus

128K cable with Paradise/TelstraClear; 10 GB and I've never overrun it, and I download a fair number of large files, mostly video.

Sad thing is, there is a narsty rumour (well it says it in Computerworld, so it must be true :-) ) that T-C is lowering the cap to 5GB on abolishing 128K for new users, and making them all go to 256K.

T-C tells me existing 128K users won't be forced to upgrade (yet), but they haven't yet confirmed the reported 5 GB limit when/if I do.

I did just over 6 GB last month and over 7 Dec/Jan 2001/2 over 7 (2002/3 wan't as bad for some reason), so I might break the new limit if I'm not careful (esp. with streaming video at twice the speed). But 10 is big enough not to worry me.

Argus

nz_liam

Well I've had Jetstart conected for about a week and a half, and so far I have downloaded 6931.60 MB, at the moment I'm with maxnet who 'had' no data cap, however as of next month they are bringing in a 12GB cap, so I will probably change to neuron net who have no data cap

Cheers

Liam

-=JM=-

With just regular surfing it would be really hard to get anywhere near 10GB.

Once you start downloading it all kicks in though.