Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Chilling_Silence

Default My monitor decided to go fuzzy around the edges... And I dont like it!?!

I have two actually, one's at home (With a little LCD display on it.. love it so much ;-)) and one's at my temp. workplace for the next two days.

Its going fuzzy around the corners mainly, its just not very sharp at all.. blurry almost I guess.

why is this and is there anyway to fix it?

usually its fine for the first hour or so, and then begins to get worse. Degaussing doesnt help/affect it at all.

Thanks

Chilling_Silence

CYaBro

Default Re: My monitor decided to go fuzzy around the edges... And I dont like it!?!

Sounds like you need to open it up and adjust the focus.

BE VERY VERY CAREFUL!!!!

Just did one this morning.

Most monitors have the dials on the left hand side (when looking at the monitor from the front) near the back.
    Usually also a aluminium shield around them too.
    Usually 2 dials - one for focus and one for brightness.

Chilling_Silence

Default Re: My monitor decided to go fuzzy around the edges... And I dont like it!?!

..So just gotta be very careful..

Do I need anything else.. Like a hammer for when things go wrong? ;-)

Billy T

CYaBro: You shouldn't offer advice you are not qualified to give. The second setting is not brightness at all, though it does have that effect. Also, you should never suggest that anybody open up a monitor without ensuring that they know how to do so safely.

Chill: Go to my two monitor FAQs and have a read there. Also go to E.ric's site and use the monitor test patterns to find out exactly what is going on then report back. If the link doesn't work anymore, do a Google search for "Oh Bugger" +Eric and you will find his other site.

The cross-hatch pattern in particular will be of assistance. If you see separated red green and blue lines in the corners it is a convergence fault, but if they are just blurry it is either focus or a dying CRT. The FAQs tell you how to tell the difference and will also help you to make any adjustments that might be needed.

Take particular note of any colour tinting on screen, many people don't notice gradual deterioration and can be looking at purple or other colour screens without realising it. I see this all the time. That can be caused by a dyinhg CRT or a simple adjustment. The diifference is, if the colour is stable during warmup and remains so, it is more likely to be a colour adjustment that is needed, but if it starts very purple (or other colour) and gradually improves over 5-10 minute from cold then it is a dying CRT.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Billy T

Oh Bugger is Here Chill, and E.ric's even added the black and white chequerboard I suggested.

Goodonya mate, you're not by any chance a Southern Man are you E.ric?

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Graham L

Could try some sanding sealer and fine sandpaper

Chilling_Silence

Errr.....

So what do I do on this website??

I clicked on Convergence and linearity and it was blurry on the monitor at work that I suspect is faulty (Well.. I know its faulty ) compared to being sharp on another PC!

What else do I do with it???

The checkers one can be pretty mesmerising if you look at it the wrong way

Chilling_Silence

Yes... Yes...

Its sharp in the middle, but not around the outside!

Now what?? ?:|

Billy T

Use the Force Chill.

Read the FF-FAQs and do the tests, then decide whether or not you want to adjust the focus. The chequerboard would be good quick focus adjustement up test pattern but you need to fine tune it using other methods, as described. You can guess where.

Sheesh

I'm all mothered out today Chill!

Billy 8-{)

Chilling_Silence

Oh, yes.

Ive read the FAQ, and was about to take it to bits when I noticed your post :-)

You said post back here, so I thought you were gonna give me some words of wisdom:

"Re-read the FAQ"

And by golly - the force pulled through for me!

I was RIGHT! ;-)