Thread: Out of memory

Sami

Default Out of memory

I'm running an 800Mhz Celeron, 30Gb HDD, 132 RAM on Windows 98 SE. But, a couple of programmes report "Out of Memory" before completing a task.

I believed that I had set 1Gb as virtual memory, but when I checked I found that it had reverted to "let Windows set...". Tried again , set to 1Gb, clicked OK and closed System/programme manager. Returned and found that it had again reverted to Windows default setting.

Grateful any clues.

tweak\'e

Default Re: Out of memory

"out of memory" errors can also means lack of resources. try shutting a few programs down.

windows will always revert back to "let windows...." even tho you have changed the settings. don't worry it always does this. the settings will be used.

1gig is HUGE for a swap file. unless you are doing massive amount of video editing (on a 800 celeron ?:| ) i would set it to mininmum 300 and DO NOT set a maximum.

considering the price of ram at the mo i would look at buying more ram.

Graham L

How full is your disk? Try a defrag anyway.

Chilling_Silence

You should try out:
    http://www.superrsoft.com's Super Rabbit Magic Set
    It will give you a good idea of how much to use and it'll set it for you.

1 gig is FAR too much, the most mine has ever been is about 400 megs when I was programming and created a memory leak. I cant remember how I did it either, but it came up with a warning... In the end I realised each time I tried to run/test the program, it would add an extra 20 megs into the swap file. Thats it.

Mine is currently set to about 96 minimum and about 350 max.

Im in linux and just had a look, Im using no Linux Swap file, and about 128MB RAM of my 512MB.

I wouldnt think doze would be too much more than that, so a small swap file initially should be fine.

Hope this helps

Chilling_Silence

Graham L

If you let Windows manage virtual memory, you should "never" run out of memory as long as there is disk space available. That's what virtual memory is ...

Peter

I had this kind of trouble with Word.

Search for, and then delete the 'normal.dot'

When you restart Word the normal.dot template will be re-created.

P.

nzStan

I install RAMpage (Freeware) on PCs running Win95 or Win98. It should solve your problem.

http://www.jfitz.com/software/RAMpage/

tweak\'e

i seriously doubt running any RAM freeing program will help.

off the RAMpage web page-
    Confusing "Resources" with "Memory"

better off fixing a cause of the problem not the symtoms.

nzStan

Sometimes its difficult fixing the problem when the software isn't supported anymore.

As an example, last week one of my staff using a W98SE workstation complain about her PC getting slower and slower as the day progresses. She has a payroll software and office opened the whole day and memory leak would occur. Eventually her screen grind to a halt and get an 'Insufficient Memory' message.

I installed RAMpage, set it to free memory at 12MB and she's been working without any problem since.

Another case, an old W98SE laptop. Becoming slower day by day. RAMpage again solved the problem.

It might not fix all problems but I've got RAMpage installed on my Win2000pro laptop and PC as well and I swear my computers work better with it running that without it.

tweak\'e

>She has a payroll software and office opened the whole day and memory leak would occur. Eventually her screen grind to a halt and get an 'Insufficient Memory' message.

thats the only time those free ram progs come in handy. i sometimes use them when useing alpha programs. generally tho i just go find less buggy software.

a lot of free ram programs promise the earth but i have yet to one make any difference on a well setup pc.