Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    dot_com

Default Humour on PressF1

OK, I have followed Billy T's advice to reflect in one of my more "quiet moments"

Obviously, due to the fact you have to serve some sort of apprenticehip in PressF1, to enable you to post a few witty quips, I will retire from the forum until such time as I have memorised PC For Dummies cover to cover.

Why's everyone round here so fragile? This forum used to be fun, now everyones treading on egg shells

JJJJJ

Default Re: Humour on PressF1

Here Here!!!!

Susan B

Everyone's humour is different, dot com. I guess that you do have to "serve some sort of apprenticehip in PressF1 to enable you to post a few witty quips" because until people are reasonably familiar with you they do not know if you are joking or not.

The regulars here can be pretty dry to the other regulars and get away with it because they have been around a long time, command a lot of respect and people know them. If you said the same things to me as godfather or Billy T does I would not be at all amused because I do not know you as I do them.

This forum did used to be fun, a lot more fun, and while humour is always welcome there needs to be a line drawn when it comes to "wit" that could be taken as a personal insult.

Chilling_Silence

>
    > The regulars here can be pretty dry to the other
    > regulars and get away with it because they have been
    > around a long time, command a lot of respect and
    > people know them.

Who me??? ;-)

beetle

surely its better to laugh with someone than at someone?

and most people are able to laugh, laughter is said to make you a happeir healthier person.

and my motto is if you cant take it, then dont give it, and that covers all of life.
    and i like a good joke as well as the next person.

no offense.

Beetle

Chilling_Silence

Yeah, I gifure with humor, there's always gonna be somebody you offend.
    That's the great thing about being human is that we are so diverse.

Dont worry though, rather than be offended, take it with a pinch of salt and move on with life.

Hakuna Matata

Billy T

Very true Susan :|

I think that the point dot com has missed is that sarcasm is not wit, and neither are caustic comments. However, the difference between humour that may be misinterpreted as sarcasm, and acceptable licence can be as simple as the addition of an appropriate emoticon, perhaps ] or .

It is the pointless posts that just take digs at people that colour this Forum at the moment, and if new arrivals stuck to offering advice until they got the flavour of the board, things would be a lot friendlier. Nobody goes to a party where they know nobody and just starts making cracks at the expense of others. If they did they would soon be told their presence is not welcome. Strong language or even stronger actions might follow!

Press F1 is a lot friendlier than that, but all posters, new or old are entitled to a modicum of courtesy. I note that it is those who start by attacking others who usually spit the dummy and take off when their attitudes are questioned. It is a real shame when that happens because we then lose people who could be of great help to others.

In the meantime, I'll stick around because there is sombody new every day, and that means there are new friends to be made and new knowledge to share and learn from.

Cheers

Billy

beetle

OOOOPS

ok best put foot in my mouth now

Beetle

agent

Huh? Humour? What about it? I remember my attempt at humour, way back in Dec. Wasn't very good. I was thrashed on my first day.

TonyF

>
    > Press F1 is a lot friendlier than that, but all
    > posters, new or old are entitled to a modicum of
    > courtesy.

Well said Billy. PressF1 is indeed a much better bunch than the sling-off folk who appear in nz.comp .

The majority of writers do indeed try to assist others - it takes only a few to alter the tone..

Cheers TonyF