Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Philgree

Default Editing Web pages

Website originally published (using FrontPage 98) when I was operating win 98SE.

I now have Win XP Home which does not support Ms Personal Web Server...Do I need to buy Win XP Pro in order continue to edit the site?

sal

Default Re: Editing Web pages

definitely not, im sure you could just find a pws install somewhere, online, etc (legalities im unsure of) or you could either

a) use free webspace such as orcon's and do the whole code html locally = > upload via ftp => test (which is a bit long winded), or

b) install Apache on your computer , if you do decide to try out apache, http://apache.org/ should be helpful,

grtz sal.
    tga

Heather P

I've never used Frontpage to create a site. First few years did everything in Notepad, now I use a couple of actual programs.

Not being a Frontpage user I don't know if/how they tangle the two programs together (Frontpage and PWS) but I can make the following comments.

EDITING A SITE
    Basically you can use a number of programs - including the humble Notepad - to create and edit a site.

WEB SERVER
    When you upload to the web you are uploading to a computer running web server software. PWS is a simple version of this for your own use (can't be used on the net). You can try out your code on your own machine.

TYPES OF CODE
    If you are just creating html pages then you don't need a web server. Instead of an http address you just type in the path (eg d:\websites\index.htm).

If your pages ended in .asp then you do need a web server to try it on (typing in d:\websites\index.htm won't work).

UPLOADING TO THE WEB
    Frontpage probably has some uploading features. I use WS_FTP95 instead.

CONCLUSION
    If you are just creating html pages you don't need PWS just an editing program and an FTP program.

sal

Originally posted by Heather P:
    >TYPES OF CODE
    >If you are just creating html pages then you don't need a web server.
    >Instead of an http address you just type in the path (eg
    >d:\websites\index.htm).

lol, of course, i forgot about that
    good point

grtz sal.
    tga

Greg S

I think I understand your question - so...

You can edit the site anyway you choose, assuming it's hosted on a remote (not your own PC/server) site.

I also assume that you're still using FrontPage - in which case all/most of the functionality should still be the same.

If you're hosting the site on your own server, then I bet there's an add-on to XP home that you can get, either free or buy, that would be cheaper than buying XP Pro.

If you tell us where your site is hosted, it would help us.

Heather P

Oops, saw a mistake

>If your pages ended in .asp then you do need a web server to try it on (typing in d:\websites\index.htm won't work).

should read
    If your pages ended in .asp then you do need a web server to try it on (typing in d:\websites\index.asp won't work).