Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    starfish

Default virus I received

I got an email today from a friend about a virus called jdbgmgr.exe with instructions on how to delete it.
    It was there with a teddybear icon so I deleted it and have informed my address book contacts too.
    If it goes through you address book contacts how does it disappear? Wouldn't it just keep coming back to me?

Chilling_Silence

Default Re: virus I received

Sorry - Youve been hoaxed, so ASAP reply to all your address book and point them to here.. Tell them not to do it!

http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread....bmgr.exe#54274

It manages some sort of java stuff, but you need it for web browsing!

Cheers

Chilling_Silence

starfish

help! I have deleted this file and sent a copy to everyone on my address book list. How on earth do I restore it?

godfather

I can't believe this hoax virus is still alive, its been doing the rounds for so long now.

To restore, look at this site

And contrary to previous advice you may not need the file, unless you want to debug Java code.

starfish

before receiving your message Godfather, I used the System Restore I have on XP and restored my system to an earlier date. Will this do? I have had a look and have the teddybear files back ok.

godfather

You should be fine in that case.

We couldn't give that advice because you had not told us what version of Windows you are running.

Only Windows ME and XP have the facility, 95, 98, 98SE and 2k do not.

starfish

thanks, I may now be able to sleep tonite and not worry about my computer

Gordon.

I hope you told all your contacts as well to ignore the first message advisng of the alleged virus and have given your friend that sent you the stupid chain letter a good roasting as well.

Emails such as that are generally hoax's. If in doubt, before you act on the message or send it on, come here and ask the rest of us what we think or do a search for the alleged virus at google.com.

tommy

> I can't believe this hoax virus is still alive, its been doing the rounds for
    > so long now.

It appears to have been reincarnated. I have received five in my Inbox in the last couple of weeks.

starfish

yes everything has been sorted now, I fixed everything up at my end and then informed my contacts and told them to egnore it.
    I am pretty new to all this computer stuff and have never had a virus yet so I took this seriously and did what it asked.
    In the future I will contact you guys first as you seem to know what your talking about.
    I just wish I wasn't on anyones address book!