timmie

Default increase memory or not?

My Celeron 500, Toshiba laptop is slowing down a bit. Have 128MB RAM, 40% space left in my 5715MB HDD, 56k modem works fine, Windows 98SE, IE5.5, Office 2000. Ive been advised best value = get another 128MB of RAM. Wd value opinion on whether more RAM is sensible/best solution.

godfather

Default Re: increase memory or not?

It probably depends on what you use the computer for?

Some Tohiba's of that genre are limited to 192 Mb of Ram, so check first.
    Also they only had one slot free in many cases, and came with 64 Mb on board, which may suggest you have a 64 Mb chunk there now? This would mean you would have to throw 64 out and replace it with 128.

Your mileage may vary, I am basing it on a slightly different model (1710)?

timmie

Thanx for that. It apparently has 56MB RAM in-built, and two slots (one of which has 56KB now) So spare slot ok. I use it for various daily business/pers. Also abt to get into some digital photography. If performance were a bit better may even upgrade browser to IE6. Really just pondering whether approx $120 for +128 RAM is wise given other componenets & that its abt 3 years old now (Satellite 4200)

roofus

A RAM upgrade is considered the "cheap upgrade"
    It will definately result in a performance boost, especially when you have many applications open. It will also help with digital photography manipulation.

Short of going out and buying another laptop, i would definately recommend a RAM upgrade.

Billy T

Hi Timmie

Is it slowing down because you have increased demands on the cpu and memory over time with hungry programs or does it just need a good spring-clean of the HDD and defrag?

I'd still add memory if you can afford it but try the simple and free options first.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

godfather

It will have 64 Mb , the 56 is probably whats "left" after the video memory has been earmarked.

Given that there are no other options to upgrade in a laptop, I agree with roofus, that its a good move, particularly as you are going to get into digital photos, its essential to have plenty of RAM.

Its also a cheap upgrade.