Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    caffy

Default Outlook Express: BCC option

hey, just was wondering if anyone knows what the BCC option is really for? (when composing an e-mail, you have 3 options where to put the recipients' addresses or names - To, CC, or Bcc)

Or is it just a nice way to hide the email recipients?

Oh another thing - I've found that when i send an email to 2 of my friends with an @ihug.com.au address, via the bcc option, they never recieve the email. Only if their addresses has been put in the "to" option. Anyone know why this happens?

Thanks

cyberchuck

Default Re: Outlook Express: BCC option

Hey

The BCC [Blind Carbon Copy] is just "a nice way to hide the email recipients" - especially if your doing a mass mail. Also, it saves on the receiving time of the email, as it shrinks down the recipients MIME header, so only the recipient thinks that they are getting it.

Sometimes, Email Clients want a user to be in the TO: field before they allow people in the BCC or CC field. Have you tried sending the emails to your Ihug friends from the CC fields and seeing if they get it?

CyberChuck

mikebartnz

If you are not worried about your two friends knowing about each other why don't you just use the To field.

caffy

yeah i could do that,

if i email them, individually, i normally use the 'to' field. However, if im sending a mass email, the bcc field is used, and i tend to forget about thoes 2 friends

thanks for ur help anyway

Clueless

>If you are not worried about your two friends knowing about each other why don't you just use the To field.

One bloody good reason is to stop broadcasting E-mail addresses far and wide for spammers and viri to pick up.

Think about it: Every time you get an email with 40 people in the "to" feild, your email address has just been sent to 39 other people. Now if one of those people gets a virus that reads all the email addresses in the system so it can further itself, then you and the 38 others are next call for that viris, and when that hillarious joke you got sent finds its way around the planet with forwarded forwarded email, your addy just found its way to being harvested by your favourate people... spammers

Bcc is a feature of M$ OE. Honestly, they did catch on, they just hid it a bit. Click on the "to" button just by the address feild. this opens a box with your address collection, and 3 buttons, "to", "cc" "bcc" choose an address or group, and hit the "bcc" button. Put your own address in the "to" field, some email system spew at e-mail with nothing there.. IHUGs used to when i sent anything through them.

I'm so glad to see someone who has the socail responcibility to protect friends from the invations bulk email often gives. After all if someone is worth e-mailing, they are worth the minute it takes to ensure them the privacy thier address deserves.

.Clueless

crozier

>BCC [Blind Carbon Copy]

Commonly replaced with Blind Courtesy Coppy these days.

Be aware when using it that some anti spamming software will reject mail that hides recipient addresses.

Clueless

A little story....
    Once upon a time i got an badly done bulk email from a friend that was telling me something about some band or event.

The next night i got an email telling me about a gig at the kings arms in Auckland... i live in CHCH.The sender of the second emails address was in the "to" feild of the first, along with all his other victims

I was deeply concerned for the sender, so i sent him multiple copys of appache for linux, and demo songs. He never replied, and his mailbox was full for a couple of days...... I hope he got them all

Most spammers are slightly slicker than this, but it shows how it can be done.

.Clueless

cyberchuck

I got done through mass emails in the to: field..
    My sister and her friends don't believe in BCC features, so one the occassion I did get emails from them (I don't anymore as I wisely changed hotmail accounts), I could scroll through 2 pages worth of full email addresses, etc just for a little "Virus Alert" or "Foward this to 20 people" or "Save our baby - send this to 50 people" thing.. Really! - are they that stupid that they don't know of the BCC feature? (probably not as my sister reinstalled MSN Messenger the other day when it was working perfectly).

No-one can "come and kill you" if you don't send an email to 50 of your friends, and the "delete Explorer.exe from your computer to remove a new virus" - Jeez! - if people do really believe in stuff like that, then do they think about their personal rights! - electonically monitoring emails (so AOL can give out baby 20c for every person you emai this to) would be an invasion of privacy, and unless that email went through the AOL network, or atleast their servers then there is no way for them to monitor who it get's sent to, or how often it gets sent - so therefore its pointless.

CyberChuck

Clueless

>"Foward this to 20 people" or "Save our baby

CC,
    i've always seen these as a kind of internet IQ test. Those who indulge, fail.
    I firmly believe the people who write them do so just so they can laugh at how stupid the planet is

.Clueless

cyberchuck

Well does that mean I have a high IQ??