Every 2 or 3 minutes my computer makes this quick sound effect and my mouse stops responding. 5 to 10 seconds later it will make the beep again and I'll have control over my mouse once more. This will continue for maybe 15 minutes until both my keyboard and mouse just die. The computer however will remain working and things like music, videos, AIM, chatrooms and downloads will continue to work fine. I've tried running a virus checker(McAfee) and it found nothing. I disconnected my router, DSL modem and everything else except for my monitor, mouse and keyboard and it still does it. I've tried using completely different mice and keyboards and it still does it.

I finally decided to reformat my harddrive, surely that would fix it right? Nope, even after reformatting it with my recovery discs it still had the same error. The error even happens before I get a chance to login into Windows XP.

My computer is a Compaq Presario running on Windows XP. It's a little over 2 years old, 15 gig hard drive and 866 mhz. The day that this error started happening I don't really remember downloading anything unusual. Just a couple zip files and such. And I know I didn't get anything from an email.

Any and all help would be appreciated.