unknown

Default Getting rid of things from the right click menu?

it annoys me everytime i install an application and i go to right click on some later on to find out the list has filled up my screen. Is there anyway of getting rid of things from that menu?

agent

Default Re: Getting rid of things from the right click menu?

Two ways:
    1. Open the application that has offended you this way, check the settings for something called "Shell Extensions", and disable/untick them.

2. Open the Run dialog, type "regedit", and open the "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT". This contains a list of every file extension. Locate the file extension that has a Shell Extension you don't want, click the + sign next to it, and look for a 'folder' called "ShellEx" or "ShellNew", and delete it.

Go with option 1, it is far more sensible, and option 2 I am unsure about, but I know that's where shell extensions are stored. If you're gonna go about it by editing the registry, create a backup first and make sure you have a way of safely restoring it if everything goes wrong.

unknown

Thanks ive already tried the application approach but some didnt have options and it still filled up my screen ill do it through the registery instead.

Susan B

What version of Windows are you using? If you've got TweakUI installed I *think* you can use that to choose what items you want on the right-click list. Haven't got it installed myself at the mo so I can't confirm for sure right now.

unknown

I was originally usuin xp but got sick of it (too many conflicts) so ive gone back too win98SE yeh i have tweak ui but i cant find anything bout it i found the new menus in it but that was all>

agent

I think what you're thinking of Susan is that in Tweak UI you can choose what things to go in the 'Rightclick - New' menu. Don't know why MS hasn't allowed you to add new files to it, only untick current ones.

unknown

I couldnt find it in the registery and tweak ui doesnt do it either are there any applications avaibile to do it

agent

An option in the installation possibly, but I doubt it.