mikep

Default Windows XP search tool

Windows 98 has a great search tool that is easily invoked by pressing the <ctrl> + F keys and it is a sleek, clean search dialogue box. When I search for a file and I'm using Windows Explorer, I like to use the search tool, then go back to the previous view with the left window or sidebar displaying my folders and the right window displaying the contents.

In Windows 98 I could close the search dialogue box with no change to the folder/file layout, but in Windows XP/ME, the left window is permanently changed to a crappy search bar that I never want to see again for the rest of my life. The only way I know of returning to my previous view with folders on the left & files on the right is to close explorer & restart it, then browse back to where I left off.

Is there anybody out there that knows how to turn off the "intuitive - not" search wizard/interface and replace it with the sleek, clean & onubtrusive search dialogue like Windows 98?

agent

Default Re: Windows XP search tool

Haven't done this for awhile, but isn't there an option when you click Start - Search in XP to change the settings?

Mike

>>> left window is permanently changed to a crappy search bar that I
    >>> never want to see again for the rest of my life. The only way I know
    >>> of returning to my previous view with folders on the left & files on
    >>> the right is to close explorer & restart it, then browse back to where
    >>> I left off.

Easier way - click "Folders" in the toolbar at the top of Windows Explorer. The Search pane will disappear and your folder pane will reappear.

Mike.

Babe Ruth

MikeP,
    Disable the "new Search Assistant" and use the traditional search interface under Windows XP.
    Open your registry (click START | RUN and in the box type REGEDIT and press OK) and find the key below.
    Create a new String value, or modify the existing value called 'Use Search Asst' using the settings below.

[pre]Registry Key to change: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\CabinetState
    Name: Use Search Asst
    Type: REG_SZ (String Value)
    Value: yes or no (default = yes)[/pre]

Exit your registry, you may need to restart or log out of Windows for the change to take effect.

NOTE: If you don't know EXACTLY what you are doing in the Registry (REGEDIT application) then maybe you shouldn't be in there. :-) However the above 'fix' works as intended.

Cheers, Babe.

mikep

Thanks for your replies.

I am familiar with the registry & usually in there at least once every week or two.

I will try your suggestions & report back

All the best

Mike P