Capt Jimbo

Default Any difference between brands of Ram

I'm looking the the current attractive Ram prices and thinking it's time I upgraded a little bit.
    Are there any differences between the different brands of Ram or do I just look in Price Spy and just go with the cheapest supplier?

TIA
    Capt Jimbo

cyberchuck

Default Re: Any difference between brands of Ram

Hey

The Ram can be a different brand from the ram that's currently in your computer, you just have to make sure that your buying the correct type of and speed of Ram for your motherboard (eg: SD-RAM, DDR-RAM, PC-133, etc)
    Also, be aware that if you purchase slower ram then what's currently in your computer, your computer will access ALL Ram at the speed of the slowest one.

CyberChuck

kiwistag

Legend & Century are good brands of RAM. Depending on the type of RAM & application, double sided SD-RAM is slightly more flexible in large quantity cases and DDR is still an experimental kettle of fish, see what your motherboard manufacturer recommends having paired up.

Greg S

All things being equal, (eg 133 brand1 vs 133 brand2) most ram brands are fine, just remember that there are good and less good brands - some generic makes are fine and compatible with others, but the recommendation is to check with your supplier, and ASK if it's gonna be a prob mixing and matching

crozier

I remeber hearing once that there were only 2 or 4 factories in the world making RAM which accounts for the massive price fluctuations.Therefore there's not a huge difference from one brand to the next. I guess it's like buying name brands from the supermarket. Woolworths home brand beans may well be canned by Watties with a different label. Remember that most RAM offers either a lifetime or 5 year warrantee.

Simeone said that DDR RAM is 'experimental, that's utter nonsence. DDR RAM has been readily available for onver 2 years now. Like SD RAM, DDR Speeds have increased since it was first introduced, but it's certainly not experimental.

Terry Porritt

"A lifetime guarantee or warranty", Now I wonder what that means?
    Literally, maybe, the lifetime until the part fails, 5 minutes or 5 years ?:|

I think a specific warranty period like 5 years is more genuine.

Most packets of floppy disks say lifetime warranty, yet Ive had heaps of disks faulty from new boxes

Graham L

Some brands cost more than others. Some are better than others. Maybe there is a correlation. Or not.

If there is a computer manufacturer's label, they have been selected by the manufacturer to be "reliable enough" so that HP, for example, won't be caused great expense replacing them under guarantee.

I have an idea that most memory chips will be "perfect". These days, if the processing isn't perfect, the factory is scrapped, because it is not economic to continue. So if the memory is given the right voltage and it survives the first week or so, it will last a long time.

Some memory [b]cards/b] look to be better made than others. It's probably just aesthetics. ;-)