Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Heather P

Default Re: Can't get the printer to print through the network :(

1st - check that file and printer sharing is on
    2nd - settings, printer, specific printer, sharing (is shared)

3rd - these are the instructions for the printer on my network ("Celeron" = computer name with printer attached, "hp" = printer name)

Printer
    1. HP Deskjet series 710C
    2. Insert disk
    3. Install
    4. Start; Settings; Printers; HP Deskjet 710C
    5. right-click; Properties; Details
    6. Capture Printer Port:
    7. Device: LPT2
    8. Path: \\Celeron\hp
    9. Select “Reconnect at logon”
    10. Restart

11. Start; Settings; Printers; HP Deskjet 710C
    12. right-click; Properties; Details
    13. Select “Print to the following port”
    14. LPT2: (\\Celeron\hp)
    15. restart

ConCon

Thank you Heather P, I tried that before but it did not work .

ConCon

It says that my model cannot be supported on the network, but it also says that "If you wish to network this printer, it must be parallel-attached to either a Windows 3.11 or Windows 95/98 workstation, and must be shared using peer-to-peer instructions."
    I'm using WIN98SE right now and I've downloaded the peer to peer instructions just this afternoon and tried it but it didn't help at all (the cable is a parallel one as well) .

mikebartnz

Usually when it says it is not a network printer it actually means that it will not stand alone on the network but you can network them off a shared PC.

Heather P

The HP printer was a right pain to network. My original method was to carry the thing to the computer I wanted to run it on, install it and make sure it worked, return it to it's original computer then fumble through changing the settings.

Finally I figured there had to be a better way! So I sat down with the thing and really got it figured out. The above instructions were thus born - and they work.

The big problem, as I remember, was getting the connection setting correct. For some reason the following steps:
    8. Path: \\Celeron\hp
    9. Select “Reconnect at logon”
    10. Restart

would never work first time around so I had to go back a second time to get them to work.

Did you put the connection as "LPT2: (\\computer_name\printer_name)"
    ? - without the quote marks but with the brackets.

The \\ means it is computer on the network, the \ indicates a printer.

mikebartnz

In my view that is the wrong way to go about it Heather P.
    When I do it I set up the printer on the PC it is going to print on and share it. Then on the other PC's I install the printer through Settings/Printers/Add Printer but when it comes to Local or Network choose Network and it usually works like a dream but one time I had trouble as I had assigned IP's to each PC and it wouldn't work unless it was on the first IP address.

ConCon

Yes, the computer that does not have the printer had been pointing to shared printer, I also tried pointing it the local port. Everything seem to keep causing the "This function cannot be performed ....." Would updating the driver help?

Heather P

Mike, re-reading it I see I made a couple of assumptions:

1. That the operating system is Win 98 (I don't see one specified and therefore assume it is the same as mine)

2. That the printer is already installed and working on it's local machine.

I therefore assumed that it could be taken as read that settings on the local machine should be set to sharing and the printer installed on the remote machine.

The instructions were for the remote machine. The major problem that has caused me the maximum amount of grief is setting the path on the remote machine to the printer. Win98 requires 2 goes and 2 restarts to manage to retain the information.

Heather

mikebartnz

Heather doing it the way I do it you don't get the reconnect at logon so I don't think you quite follwed the way I do it.

Billy T

Hi ConCon

I a bit of bumbler on networking issues, but I have successfully installed two HP laserjets (6L & 1200) and three different Canon inkjets (BJC610, BJC620 & S750) at various times on my four computer network and could print OK to all. I am currently using the HP1200 & S750.

In each case I installed the printer on the host where it would be physically located and enabled sharing. I then installed the drivers on each of the other computers using the add printer wizard and browsing for the nework printer at the appropriate time.

I had a few hiccups (for 5-10 minutes) while working out how to locate the drivers on the CD the first time as I didn't know I had to mine down to the actual folder, but once the drivers were installed I could print test pages or files as required.

There were no port setting issues or anything of that ilk, apart from the need to enable sharing on each box.

Maybe I got lucky but I'm not sure of that. It was a pretty straightforward exercise and provided the printer can be seen on the network when browsing it all should go OK.

Cheers

Billy <[8-{) :|