Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    ConCon

Default Can't get the printer to print through the network :(

Hello people

I read the FAQ about the "How do I network my PC". Everything went OK from adding protocols to testing it.

I'm networking up to computers

When I got up to the Sharing a Printer section-> Print a test page, the computer that is using the network printer can't print anything. It keeps coming up with an error saying "This function cannot be performed as the printer is not communicating" I tried Keep existing driver and also Replace existing driver but none of them works. I even install the printer's driver manually with Printer's driver CD, but that did not work either. The printer is ON and the cables are all connected, nothing seems to be wrong. I restarted both computers, it did not work either .

So does any one know what might be the problem? The File Sharing section was ok, nothing went wrong, just the can't print anything from the computer that is setup using the network printer.

Thank You Very Much

LucyL

Default Re: Can't get the printer to print through the network :(

Your printer wouldn't be a HP by any chance? Had the same thing happen to me with a HP710C - seems that some HP's aren't made to share over a network. :-(

First try turning off the 2 way communication between printer and pc.

If that doesn't work then try installing the printer on the "other" machine but instead of using LPT1, direct it to the printer port on the main machine ie map that port and turn off the two way communication.

I finally got the printer to work this way.

A search of Google came up with some good answers but sorry I can't remember the address anymore.

Hope that helps
    Lucy

mikebartnz

On the PC without the printer have you installed the printer( choose network on setup) pointing to the shared printer

LucyL

Installing a shared network printer doesn't work because some printers aren't made to work on a network.

Here's a link to a site that got things going for me:

http://tedfelix.com/HP722c/Networking.html

Lucy

ConCon

My printer is a Lexmark 3200 color fine.

Mikebartnz -"On the PC without the printer have you installed the printer( choose network on setup) pointing to the shared printe"

I already done that, now it just wouldn't print or just comes up with an error saying "This function cannot be performed as the printer is not communicating"

I've just did a seach in Google and I think I got an answer for it. So if that works then thank you everyone. And if that doesn't, then more help would be good

Thank You

ConCon

Hello

It didn't work (http://www2.lexmark.com/infatlib.nsf...2?OpenDocument) I've tried every option possible but nothing works, it just keep coming up with "This function cannot be performed as the printer is not communicating"

Any suggestions?

Thank You

mikebartnz

I had a guy just recently who had bought a new printer and was most surprised and happy when I got it working on the network. I have not come across a printer that won't work on a network. Admittedly I have pulled my hair out getting some to work.

mikebartnz

The fact that it is not communicating tells you that it is not connected to the network properly.

LucyL

The Lexmark 3200 - quote from Lexmark "this printer is not supported on a network" check out this link:

http://support.lexmark.com/cgi-perl/...t=10&mode=pass

What you have to do on the machine not attached to the printer is to trick it into thinking it"s printing to a local port.

Even though it's a different model than mine you should still be able to get things working by reading the link I posted previously.

Lucy

LucyL

oops sorry about that, don't know how the rest of my message became part of the hyperlink.
    :$ :$ :$
    Lucy